• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

W W1 facts and figures

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Information which has been produced for whatever reason (be it for advertising, propaganda or simply keeping people informed on the home front) reveals much about the impact of the ‘Great War’. A few Birmingham specific examples are below.

The ‘Gift Book’ produced from the start of the War seems to have been very popular, going into a number of reprints. And there was an exhibition in New Street - you do wonder what they were showing at the exhibition, certainly not graphic images of the horrors of the War. By the 1920 advert below, the horror of the scale of casualties becomes very clear. Viv.

July 1920
C97D6A7F-D8D1-4112-B630-F645535FEA75.jpeg

October 1915

5807F35C-2D3D-4088-A345-FBD04762B92C.jpeg

D7B6F5B4-DA1C-438B-A450-B0234DED3AB3.jpeg

September 1914

DA06DCB6-7A11-4372-A848-1A164C340AFA.jpeg

Last edited:
Two things struck me with these clips. Firstly the appeal for charity as the state pension can never meet all requirements, and what stress must have been caused by the Relieving Officer.

Secondly I cannot see any mention of where the proceeds of the Birmingham Gazette are going to.

Land fit for heroes!

Two things struck me with these clips. Firstly the appeal for charity as the state pension can never meet all requirements, and what stress must have been caused by the Relieving Officer.

Secondly I cannot see any mention of where the proceeds of the Birmingham Gazette are going to.

Land fit for heroes!
Maybe the relieving Officer was over strict with whom he found to be a deserving cause? I wondered about him. The proceeds, what I read went to the publisher. Given the losses and horrors of the war I am surprised so many people wanted to read yet more, besides what they read in newspapers. Or did they? Was this extreme hype?

Last edited:
That was exactly my reaction too Alan just can’t imagine why they would want to see more. Although with one of the editions I’ve seen advertised it included a coloured map. I can understand wanting to have that to try to help readers understand and locate named places, especially if they knew where their family members were posted. Viv

What a great resource Dave. Is the the location based on where they lived/were born ? Viv.

Back