• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Visiting the Grandparents

sylvia

proper brummie kid
My grandparents lived in Bloomsbury Street, Nechells until bombed out during the war, they then moved around the corner to Gt Lister Street. Grandad (William Kirkham) was a hairdresser and had a barbers shop with a red and white pole outside. In those days men used to go to barbers shops not only for a haircut but also for a shave. On visiting I used to be fascinated by the sight of grandad lathering the faces of the men to be shaved (no unisex hairdressers in those days). He would sharpen his cut throat razor on a leather strap and then proceed to remove all the lather plus whiskers, how I would hold my breath when he reached underneath the chin. Fortunately his hand was very steady !!! My mother as a small girl used to have to lather all the customers ready for her father to start shaving. She hated doing it. At the back of the shop were the living quarters where grandma despite having an old gas cooker in the annexe (no fitted kitchen there) would cook all her meals on a coal fired range. The oven or ovens, I can't remember if there was one or two,were at the side of the fire. How she judged the right temperature for cooking I will never know but she did. There was always a kettle on the fire boiling ready to make tea with sterilised milk I can still taste it now. When the area was re-developed the grandparents move to The Riddings.
Sylvia

Thanks for sharing your story with us, Sylvia.
Memories are much better when shared. ;)

Great memories Sylvia, thanks for posting them. I can remember going past
Barber shops and seeing men with lather on their face. My Father used to shave himself in the exact same way. He had a leather strop that hung on the bathroom door and an open razor. He used shaving soap and a shaving brush.
Kids used to view all these types of activities and it seemed completely normal
back then.

People with businesses seemed to cope with very few amenities on their
business premises in those days. The tea sounds delicious.

Great memories Sylvia - your story brings back a memory of mine - Dad bought mom an electric stove - but she still preferred doing her cooking on the coal fire

Back