• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Various bomb damaged streets

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks...thought these may be of some interest....

pic 1..medicroft road sparkbrook 27th aug 1940

pic 2..20 to 33 balsall heath road

lyn

bridge st west.... sorry wrong pic..will repost...

i have plenty more to post so if anyone is interested i will post more tomorrow...they also include city centre streets that were damaged during the war..

Lyn,

You are the limit. Barely an hour after Germany batters us on the football pitch you start reminding us that they battered us in the war too. Anyway, during the war,that was the first half. In the second half we battered them far more and ended up winning. It is all history now and so is today's football match.

Old Boy

They are bril, Lyn. Is there one of Kyrnicks Lane, Camp Hill, by any chance? I am not holding my breath here.

Shortie

hi shortie i shall go through my books tomorrow and look...even if there isnt i wont forget the street you are searching for and will post some more tomorrow....

lyn

hi folks...just done a few more....sorry about the quality of some but with these i have had to take pics of the pics and im no david bailey...

the market hall at the bull ring.

Thanks Lyn. There was only one person killed in Kyrnicks Lane, and that was my gt gt uncle's daughter, Lucy Wood. It would be nice if there was a photo, bomb damage or no bomb damage, but it was only a small place, so not really expecting anything at all.

Does anyone remember the bomb they used to have in the Market Hall? I think it was for collecting money, I seem to remember a hole in it for coins. Does anyone know what the money would have been used for? I am presuming it was for people maimed in the bombings.

hi shortie..i will try and find you any pics then of kyrnicks lane...strange that...ive got woods in camp hill without checking i think around the first world war...will get back to you with any success...

lyn

Oh, I shall have to have another look at the pic of that bomb.

My Woods were at Kyrnicks Lane from around 1935. Lucy Dunford married Harry Wood in 1912, had a son Harry in 1913 (do not know of any other children). Wouldn't it be funny if we had a connection? I have a photo of Harry Wood, taken around 1920.

Shortie

shortie...thinking back i think it may have been me who posted the pic of the bomb..if so it could be under the thread title OLD EVENING MAIL PICS..it was well over a year ago so i am a bit unsure of where it is...serves meself right for posting so many pics lol...right i will get my family files out and see if i had a harry wood...think i had a henry but i will check...

lyn

Fantastic AND INTERESTING PHOTO'S MAKES ME REALISE JUST HOW MUCH OUR DEAR FAMILIES HAD TO ENDURE in those times and how much more easy we have life to day.

thanks paul..its one of the reasons why from time to time i post pics like this...we must never forget what our ancestors gave up..will post a few more tomorrow...

lyn

Does anyone remember the bomb they used to have in the Market Hall? I think it was for collecting money, I seem to remember a hole in it for coins. Does anyone know what the money would have been used for? I am presuming it was for people maimed in the bombings.
Shortie,

It was, in fact, a mine and I vaguely remember that the money was for the RNLI but I may well be wrong.

Old Boy

So that's what a mine looks like! I suppose as long as the money was for a good cause, it matters not.

Shortie

I can just about remember visiting the Market Hall in the fifties when a little boy. I found it strange that the building was incomplete and I sort of remember a proper bomb casing . But may be my memory is playing tricks on me. These days its difficult recalling what I had for tea come bedtime.

Lyn
On your post 3 in the thread you show a picture of Argyle st. attached is a cutting from the ev. Mail 1981, which shows a picture of the same view, presumably at the same time, but different. It apparently came out of a souvenir supplement
Mike

bombing_Argyle_st_9_4_41.jpg

thanks mike..i am really enjoying these little snipets from the paper that you are posting....having read that story i will say it again....how on earth did they endure the war years..so much death and destruction and loss of homes....i think every single person that lived through these terrible times deserves a medal...

lyn

mike,
thanks for posting the paper stories,my moms first husband was killed that night in summer lane leaving her with my brothers aged 2 and 1
and she was having my sister who was born the following september. seeing the photos brings it home to what they went through.
so sad.
lynne

Would you, or anyone else, have any pictures of a bomb dropped on Oxford Road Acocks Green? You can see on the road where a bungalow is built and the house numbers change so I am assuming it was hit during the war.

Back