• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

VAD AND HOSPITAL VOLUTEERS in WW1

M

macdonn

I would like to find out what were the rules for women to become members of VAD and work in Auxillary Hospitals. Was it also possible for women who may not have been able to work full time as a VAD and perhaps spend one daya week helping in hospitals assisting wounded soldiers etc. If anyone can assist

Thanks

V.A.D.is something I know nothing about.However, this photo.as always puzzled me,it is my gt.aunt Charlotte,and on the back of it it says"France 1916, love Lotte" she was at this time 49 years old,wouldn't that have been a bit old for a war zone?.:rolleyes:

Ray,

I doubt if there were any age limits as long as the person was not in the front line. Your Gt Aunt Charlotte was probably working in a hospital well away from the front The experience her age gave her must have been invaluable.

Sorry I cannot help re VAD.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

VAD stands for Voluntary Aid Detatchment. There is loads of information on Google and the Red Cross has lists of volunteers.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Jim, I shall have a look at that.

Chris, just had a recheck,she was only 46.:rolleyes: However,she did have grown up children and a husband with a business to run,a lot to leave behind.But it does point out the massive contribution of women during these terrible times...bless them.:).

Back