• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unknown North Staffs soldier... possible surname Palmer, Starkey or Nash

ARippin

master brummie
image.jpg
This was found with an elderly Aunts possessions.
It would be great (but I know not likely) to put a name to the face.
My Aunty was a Nash, her mother a Palmer originally.
Both her parents were from Rotton Park area (Halberton and Dugdale St) prior to, during and after WW1 and into the 1930's and possibly up to the 1950's.

Hi think we need a bit more info Aunts full name year and place of birth.also her parents full details..has to be a family member of your Aunt's I would say..

Col

heres a few "possibles" i found on the electoral rolls.

1919. david palmer 2603 A.M, R.A.F. living 30 Halberton street.
1919. william david palmer 1385 Pte. R.W.R. address as above

1918 william frederick nash 10434 R.F.M. 9th KRRC
1918 frank nash 442283 Pte. RAMC both living 7 Halberton Terrace, Halberton Street throughout their service.
1920 frederick william nash 10434 R.F.M. 9th RN 3 Batt. KREC
1920 frank nash 200292 Pte. RAMC
1921 frederick william nash 6837572 Rfn. 3 Batt. KREC
1921 frank nash 7250428 Pte. RAMC
1923 - 1931 frederick william nash 6837572 Sgt. 1st Bn KSLI
1933 frederick william nash 6837572 Sgfc 2nd Bn KSLI

1918 george starkey 270 Stkr 1 Barracks NK RN living 36 Dugdale Street.
1919 george starkey 270 Stkr 6th Flotilla RN

1918-1919 walter james starkey 10611 Sgt. 4th Bn. MGC living 49 Dugdale Street

Hi Col
thanks for your input.
Yes you're probably right about it being a family member.
Although I've realised I've made a mistake!
Whilst I have recently inherited a huge collection of photos from an Aunt, this actual photo came all the way from the USA!
As this lady (a distant relative) is still very much alive I'd rather not disclose her details without talking to her first.
She sent me the photo as she knows my passion for our shared heritage, unfortunately though she has no idea who it is.
Very frustrating but I uploaded it to here with the faint hope a relative may recognise their grandfather, great grandfather or Great uncle etc.
Her father was William David Palmer (it's not him) b. 1898 Birmingham. d. 1952 British Columbia (I just noticed him on the post from Shera).
Thanks again and I plan on contacting the North Staffordshire Regt museum and will see where that takes me and I will post if I make any progress.
Andrew

Hi Shera

brilliant thanks for the list.... I've looked through the absent voters lists too but it's great to see them all in one place.

I can see my Grandfather WF (and FW) Nash (KRRC & KSLI) on there along with his brother Frank (RAMC).
Also my Great Grandfather David Palmer (RAF) and his son WIlliam David (RWR).
Sadly no one from the North Staff Reg though.

William David Palmer above is where the photo originated from. He was born in Birmingham in 1898 but emigrated to Canada after the Great War and died there in 1952, it's his daughter who sent me the photo (altho she says it's not him).

I just had a thought though (prompted by your post), I guess I wanted the unknown soldier to be a Starkey, Nash or Palmer but I hadn't given much thought to it being from Williams wife's side of the family.

That's what's great about this forum.... it gets the grey cells working and sparks new ideas.

finally;

I hadn't noticed the 2 Starkeys on Dugdale St before so that's a real find thankyou.... I will boot up the PC to see if they fit in anywhere.

If I ever do come up with a name I will post it on here.
I'm going to make contact with the North Staffs Regt museum to see if that beRs any fruit.

Again.... Thanks so much everyone.

Back