• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Union passage

alandpol

knowlegable brummie
The 1871 census shows Thomas Burgess and family at 9 Insurance Buildings, Union Passage. He is an "ostler hotel". I know where Union Passage is, but anyone with a map or Kellys who can identify those insurance buildings or make a guestimate as to the hotel where he worked with horses.

Unfortunately good maps ar not available for 1871 . by 1889, when they are available, it looks like insurance buildings had been replaced. However, from the directories it looks like Insurance buildings were around the area marked in red on the map, on the east side between union st and new st
Mike

map_c_1889_lower_part_union_passage.JPG

When you click on it it it goes black for a second with a little whirly thing in th emiddle, but then gives a bigger picture after a couple of seconds That's what happens for me. Try again tomorrow. If you keep on having trouble, then if you send me an Instant message on th eforum with your e-mail address, i can e-mail it to you
Mike

Back