• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Unfortunate business names.

fatfingers

master brummie
We have all seen Bodgit and scarper, robin B'stard etc. But i Just passed a shop on Bristol Rd called 'Ashkan Quality Meat'
When we were kids, some of the old neighbors called the Dustbin the Ashcan.

Also saw a Shoe repair kiosk once, cant remember where, probably not in Brum but it was called Cobbler Khan.

There used to be a roofing repair business in the Leeds area, where I now live, whose proprietor (according to the sign) on its van was Titus A Duxass.

Not in Brum but I think worth mentioning on this thread. My Flemish dentist's name is De Vleeschouwer, translated it means The Butcher!

Graham OUCH. I remember reading there was a Dr Blood once. I wouldn't say this was unfortunate but rather apt. Pete worked with a Don Cooper who made bear barrels at Ansells. There was a Miss Elson who was a school teacher and was nick named Miss Bog. Jean.

Mate of mine reckons he was rear ended by a Panda Car in Gravelly hill years ago. The officers in the car were Sargeant Skid and Constable Sly.

hi guys
i hope this can be mentioned on this site with out the political rubbish forbidden
but it was listed afew years back and alot of you may remember it or even seen it passing on th bus
going up the mosely rd and next door to the old hawleys bakeries
and it is listed in allthe old telephone directories as gollywoggs exhust ;
i certainly remember it and i am sure you guys from balshall heath and that side of the city would remember it
either they ceased trading or forced to change there name owng to al this political nonsence
have nice day best wishes astonion;;;

"We don't put jam in jars, we fit exhausts to cars." ~ the management, and all the staff were Jamaican apparently. https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=486&p=272253#post272253 Think it may now be called just Mr Gollys https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...=0eMeMptexG3ptx2ViepUiA&cbp=12,163.25,,1,1.26

There must be something in the water around Selly Oak:

* The Selly Soak - Launderette
* The S'oak - Pub
* The Selly Sausauge - Cafe
* Woman at Large - scary sounding harborne haberdashery for the well proportioned
(from A paper first given at the Poetics and Linguistics Association meeting, Goldsmiths College, London. 29 June-2 July 2000 by Prof Michael Toolan)

I live in Shirley in Solihull.

We have a Chineese restaurant called Shirley Temple. Rather a good name actually.

The large computer company called Wang once had an advertising slogan which said "Wang Cares"

And Siemens had offices in Staines and when the operaters answered the phone they had to say "Siemens Staines"

hi guys
i hope this can be mentioned on this site with out the political rubbish forbidden
but it was listed afew years back and alot of you may remember it or even seen it passing on th bus
going up the mosely rd and next door to the old hawleys bakeries
and it is listed in allthe old telephone directories as gollywoggs exhust ;
i certainly remember it and i am sure you guys from balshall heath and that side of the city would remember it
either they ceased trading or forced to change there name owng to al this political nonsence
have nice day best wishes astonion;;;

There was a good club above Golliwogs as well, cant remember what it was called though.

Sorry if this has been on before. South african phone number by the way, so dont bother ringing em.

Down here there is a hairdressers "curl up and dye" too

Also a butcher called Mr Kneebone and a sewage waste disposal firm called "Sh*fters" that really is how they spell there name!!!

I will not mention the names because I live in a small rural town. A certain butcher will insist on parking his van outside the undertakers premises. A well sign written vehicle pronounces the owner to be makers of best quality meat pies, sausages and other meat products. I have to fight the urge to take a photograph. It really has shades of Sweeney Todd about it.

When I lived in Stourport 30 years ago I had a coalman called Mr Cocum. (Incidentally, we bought our house through Doolittlle and Dally of Kidderminster)!

Unfortunate business Names seen over the years (I don`t know where, don`t know when ! ) are `Hairport` (Ladies hairdresser), `The Frying Scotsman` (Chip shop), `Fags and Mags` (newsagent), `Nuts and Nails` (Beauty salon), `Fat Kee` (Chinese takeaway), `Bill the Bandit` (Grocers), `Al`s your pal` (Grocers), `The Frying Squad` (Burger Van),`Knits and Kits` (Woolshop and Airfix), `Melon Cauli`(Fruit & veg) etc etc

Back