• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Underwood

brooke_S

Brummie babby
I am researching a William Mathew Underwood born 1879, & a Edward Hampson Underwood 1883 - 1975 (brothers). I am wanting to know the farther? Mother is Mary McAvoy born 1859. Any information on the farther or any relevancy would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brooke

From Manchester area? Father appears to be a John Underwood b1859ish in Wigan.

They also don't appear to have any connection to the James Underwood you mentioned on the Pubs of Hockley thread, whose wife incidentally was a Fanny Elizabeth Thompson.

I found it on familysearch but you would be able to find it out using any of the genealogy sites.

William appears to have been baptised in Wigan
Ancestry has a baptism record
1686148887700.png
Father's occupation looks like "knife cutter". On Edward's baptism John is listed as a Merchant Tail's Cutter
1686149069602.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I am researching a William Mathew Underwood born 1879, & a Edward Hampson Underwood 1883 - 1975 (brothers). I am wanting to know the farther? Mother is Mary McAvoy born 1859. Any information on the farther or any relevancy would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brooke
Hi I have looked on bmd and ancestry and William mathew was born in Wigan and his record is Wigan 8c is the volume and page 56 registered March quaretreat you can send for the birth certificate and this should show the parents hope this helps

Thankyou everyone for all your help! Do we know if there's any documentation on William's siblings? or grandparents?

thankyou!

Last edited:
I'm still a little confused with the jump from the Underwoods in your previous post (quoted below) to the Underwoods of Wigan as there doesn't appear to be a connection between the two. Just making sure we look at the right ones.

Hello, I am doing some research on my family background. Do you know the name of James's wife? It is my understanding that he had a son called William and his wife was Violet, do you know if there was any more syblings?

any information would be muchly appreciated!

Kind regards, Brooke

As it's Wigan I'd assume he probably worked in a factory cutting cloth (maybe operating a machine). In a later census he is listed as a Foreman Tailors Cutter whilst one of his sons is listed just as a Tailors Cutter.

Last edited:
Thankyou everyone for all your help! Do we know if there's any documentation on William's siblings? or grandparents?

Also Avril, if you could attach the birth Certificate that would be amazing!! thankyou!
You have to send for it from general registry office it’s about 10.00 with postage and I gave you the information to fill the form in all the best

Assuming it is the Wigan Underwoods you are interested in then...

William Matthew Underwood b1879 Wigan, son of John Underwood and Mary McAvoy.

John and Mary marriage reg. Wigan Sep qtr 1878. Other children, all registered Wigan unless stated...

Elizabeth Ellen, b reg. Sep 1880 d reg. Dec 1880
Annie Elizabeth, b reg. Dec 1881
Edward Hampson, b reg. Mar 1884 Manchester
Nellie May, b reg. Sep 1885 Salford d reg. Dec 1885 Salford ?
Frances Gregson, b reg. Mar 1887
Florence Ellen, b reg. Sep 1888
Horace John, b reg. Dec 1889
Dorothy Gregson, b reg. Sep 1891 d reg. Mar 1902
Bertha Mary, b reg. Dec 1893

John Underwood b reg. Sep qtr 1858 Wigan, son of Michael Underwood and Elizabeth Hampson. Michael was a railway pointsman.

Mary McAvoy b reg. Sep qtr 1859 Wigan, daughter of William Chadwick McAvoy and Elizabeth Gregson, William was a butcher.

I'm still a little confused with the jump from the Underwoods in your previous post (quoted below) to the Underwoods of Wigan as there doesn't appear to be a connection between the two. Just making sure we look at the right ones.
I do apologise, I had John and James mixed. Thank you so much for all your help. I am discovering so much! I don't believe there is any connection as yet :)

Back