• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trittiford Road Shops

This off-licence once stood alone but later formed part of a parade of retail units on Trittiord Road. The buildings are still standing and active in the 21st century, the off-licence being converted into Billesley Supermarket. Owned by owned by M&B, the offie was trading here during the Second World War when Mrs. Margaret Martin was the licensee.

Yardley Wood - Off Licence on Trittiford Road.jpg

This newsagent's was next door to the above off-licence. In this 1958 image one can see how every retailer took great pride in their window display. I can see a Rupert annual on sale!

Yardley Wood - Smith's on Trittiford Road.jpg

Did anyone shop at Bovill's at Yardley Wood / Billesley? The shop is receiving a delivery here. Stafford is painted on the van door. A shop employee or manager can just be seen carrying some goods into the shop.

Yardley Wood - Bovill's on Trittiford Road.jpg

These pictures brought a few memories back. My grandparents lived in Trittiford Road and when we visited or when I stayed over for the week-end I went into all of these shops at one time or another. I especially remember the outdoor as together with my uncle, just a few years older than I, were despatched with a large enamel jug to be filled with M&B Mild from the pumps inside for the adults to drink with Sunday dinner. Strangely we always managed to "spill" a bit but managed to catch the drops in our mouths :) :) :)

These pictures brought a few memories back. My grandparents lived in Trittiford Road and when we visited or when I stayed over for the week-end I went into all of these shops at one time or another. I especially remember the outdoor as together with my uncle, just a few years older than I, were despatched with a large enamel jug to be filled with M&B Mild from the pumps inside for the adults to drink with Sunday dinner. Strangely we always managed to "spill" a bit but managed to catch the drops in our mouths :) :) :)

Thanks for that. Good to know that my pics helped to bring back some memories.

Back