• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trinity road Birchfields B6

johndavies

master brummie
I lived in Trinity Road until 1961. Large Victorian/Edwardian houses, three storeys high and huge cellars. the fun we had in that cellar...until my dad made up a story about a butler hanging himself there, we never ventured down those stone steps again.
I have been unable to find any information on Trinity Road, clearly wealthy folk must have lived there and in pre 1900 census there are house numbers I do not recognise and courts are mentioned with suggests back to back houses. If so, were these demolished to make way for the houses we see today?
I would be so grateful if any resident experts could give any information.:)

Hello John, this is a picture of 75 trinity rd.
Lost photo replaced

Handsworth 75 Trinity Rd..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the photo. Was that Dr Rosenfields old residence?.
Yes lencops, I have paid one visit to the Ratpan in recent years, hardly a plastic parrot theme pub... and yes I did make a very quick exit after one pint. My Dad used to drink in that hostelry, in fact he worked as a barman there for several years.I have a bar staff photo from the mid 50s and one of a new years celebration of the same era. I have tried to post it here in the past under the pub forum but for some reason I am told the file is illegal. Its a shame really as there are some real characters there and it was much more popular 50 years ago. I also recall the outside toilets were a wonder to behold with the strongest smell of old mans urine I have ever experienced.

My Mom who was born in Witton in 1908 and lived there until she was married
told me about some of the lovely houses around Trinity Road and backing onto the Aston Park grounds. She said that if the houses had large openings
on the side with a curved roof and sometimes large wooden doors, that these were coach entrances which led to the yard around the back and stables also. Fascinating.

Hello John, this is a picture of 75 trinity rd.

Hi Postie,

That isn't Dr Rosenfield's house as John Davies suggests - I think that's a house further up Trinity Road towards Birchfield Road, on the other side of the Witton Road. In fact, it looks rather like the house/surgery of my old dentist Mr Hemming-Allen, a real character if ever there was one.

Regards,

Big Gee

Hello John Davies,

I too was whelped at Heathfield Road Maternity Home, and lived in The Broadway until I was married in 1971. Our first house was a new one in Woodridge, a development off Trinity Road behind the old Variety Artistes Club (now some kind of social centre). We knew one or two people who lived in the big old villas on Trinity Road - does the name Mr Horseman ring any bells with you?

My old gran used to tell a tale that when she left school she worked 'in service' for some gent in Trinity Road, and he was always trying to touch her up...we used to kid her that she should have let him. Maybe she'd have been made for life.

Did you live on the 'Aston Villa' end of Trinity, or between Witton and Birchfield Roads?

Big Gee

Hi Big Gee

We lived in a top floor flat at number 90 opposite the old Aston Villa training ground. The flat must have once been the servants quarters. There was a single window facing trinity road and the use of a chair was needed to peep out of it.We used to watch the Villa training from that window and then later cross the road to collect autographs from the players.I also vaguely remember there being Coronation celebrations there.God, I must be getting very old bless.
The ground floor flat (the executive suite) was rented by a Mr Haden and his wife, a Scottish nurse.It must have been executive as it had a plumbed in bath. They lived in sin for a few years, there must have been some gossip because they got married then posted their marriage certificate inside the front window. How times have changed.Mr Haden must have been rich because he had a phone and one of the first cars in the road, an Austin A30/A35.
The rent dad paid for our little flat, ten shillings a week. The landlord was a Mr Bloxham whose house was further up the road by the dentists.A kindly man with an endless supply of boiled sweets in his pocket. I still have every rent book from 1950 to 1961,yes Im sad arent I?:(

John, You are not sad, you are a Brum Historian, 10yrs collection of rent books!, a mine of memories.

Hello John welcome to the club there are quite a few of us born in Heathfield Maternity. I think is smashing you have these rent books another bit of history. I wish I had some!

Hi John,

I used to live at 146 Trinity Road, and my aunt used to live at 58 Trinity Road. I believe that 58 is now a mosque. I lived there (146) from 1942 until 1953 when I went to Wales to live.

I have been trying to put a scrap book together about that time of my
life. I am having difficulty with this as I was only 10 when I left and do not have any old pictures or anything like that. I went to the Sacred Heart Catholic School on Witton Road. There used to be a cobblers shop on the corner of Trinity Road and Witton Road and a nice little sweet shop on Witton Road we used to call the shop Lizzie Newbolds. I remember Princess Margaret coming down Witton Road and was there when the tram lines were all ripped up. I have had a few answers about Trinity Road on the Forum and think that this is a really nice helpful site. My thanks to all.
Regards,
Ann Evans

John I was born and lived round the corner in Holte road. My aunt's doctor was named Rosenfield. Earlswood gardens had some very poash people living there too and that was only a stones throw away. Jean.

Hi GG Jean

Dr Rosenfield was my doctor, he lived in Trinity Road. I have written something about him in the doctors thread. I had some good mates In Holte Road and the posh area you mention... my cub mistress used to live there. I remember going to her house to earn my teamaking badge-it was so posh, a dining room and a bathroom. A world away from our top floor flat in Trinity Road where bath night was in front of the fire .... wallowing in a tin bath. Happy days.

Hi John,

I used to live at 146 Trinity Road, and my aunt used to live at 58 Trinity Road. I believe that 58 is now a mosque. I lived there (146) from 1942 until 1953 when I went to Wales to live.

I have been trying to put a scrap book together about that time of my
life. I am having difficulty with this as I was only 10 when I left and do not have any old pictures or anything like that. I went to the Sacred Heart Catholic School on Witton Road. There used to be a cobblers shop on the corner of Trinity Road and Witton Road and a nice little sweet shop on Witton Road we used to call the shop Lizzie Newbolds. I remember Princess Margaret coming down Witton Road and was there when the tram lines were all ripped up. I have had a few answers about Trinity Road on the Forum and think that this is a really nice helpful site. My thanks to all.
Regards,
Ann Evans

What a small world we live in Ann. I lived at number 90 from 1951-1961. Right next door to the welfare.You lived 2 doors down from old Mr Bloxham who my dad lodged with on his demob. He also owned number 90 where we lived. He must have been very rich. I remember most of the houses from Fentham Road up being used to accomodate the first generation West Indians and what gentleman they were. Do you remeber the Steering Wheel Club on that side of the road, apparently a real den of iniquity,

I remember the sweet shop well... the only way my parents could bribe me to go to Sunday school was to give me sixpence to buy lots of sweets there afterwards. If I had known their motives for getting rid of me (wink wink) it would have cost them a bob. :D

I had Evans families on Trinity Road in the late 1800s - early 1900s:

66 Trinity Road in 1891 Evans, Charles Henry
47 Trinity Road in 1901 Evans, Charles Henry
57 Trinity Road in 1901 Evans, Walter Henry

Might any of these homes on Trinity Road still be in existence today (from that period in time)?

Thank you in advance,
NEvans

I am certain 66 still remains but the odds may have been demolished for new housing. I am going that way in the next few days so I will check for you and take photos if they are still standing. You mentioned number 66 was occupied in the late 1800s but my understanding was that they were all Edwardian residences built in the early !900s.

Hi John,

I lived next door to Brian and Michael Greaves. Do/did you know them please. They used to gang up on me and play tricks continually on me. I know Brian died at some point, but dont know about Michael. Regards, Ann

I was born in Endicot Road 1942 and Dr Roasenfield was my doctor all my early days he diagnosed me with T B when i was just a few years old but made a mistake my parents were frantic with worry. I also remember those sweet smelling toilets at the Ratpan it was a toss up between those and the ones further up Trinity Road opposite Aston Park between Villa Park and the Holte Pub. Also used to attend Sunday school at the chapel in Trinity Road by Witton Road. Anyone recall the reservoir in Aston Park which was there in and after the war?

Back