• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trinity House, 27 Trinity Road, Birmingham

Dan Bevan

proper brummie kid
Found a couple old relatives lived in Trinity House 1930-1945, but I don't know anything the building, I've asked the current owners (now a school) but they have no history of the property, does anyone on the site know anything?

Gertrude and Olive Frazier were still there in 1950. Gertrude only was there in 1955. They are also listed there on 1911 census but I expect you know that.

I also had relatives who lived at 27 Trinity Road.... they were there late 50s/60s.... Aston area.... perhaps a different Trinity Road?
Annie.

Yes... my aunt and uncle.
I was confused by the post which said the property became part of Aston Technical College in 1950s, as I'm sure the Steeles were still there in the 60s...remember visiting.... a large property with extensive grounds.
Thank you, Janice.
Annie

Evening, the Steele's did live there in Trinity road. I'm their granddaughter. Their names were May and Hayden Harold Steele, but he preferred to be called Harold. They had 3 children. There was my dad, the oldest, Harold Robert Steele, but everyone called him Bob, he was born 19/5/1936. He married my mom in 1960, Jean Patricia Horsefall, they had my older brother Paul (born 1965), younger brother Jason (born 1974) and me in 1967.

There was Raymond Steele, who married Doris Horsefall, (Jean Horsefalls sister- my mom) They had 2 children, Adrian and Joanne. Then there was Sally-Ann Steele, my dad and Raymond's sister, who married and had one son called Phillip.

My grandad ran a string if herbalist shops, there was one on the Witton road. He also owned a dairy farm in mid-wales. At the diary farm he had an affair with a 19 year old her worked for him and she had a baby called Sue in 1966. Sue was adopted, but tracked us down nearly 20 years ago, now part of my family.

Unfortunately May Steele died in 1970, when I was only 3, on the operating table during an operation to have a tooth removed. My grandad never got over it, he died in 1980 in a 2 up 2 down house in Witton. He loved the horses and dogs and lost most of his money after nan died, plus a lot of people took advantage of him and borrowed money that was never paid back.

They always had poodles!

Do you have any photos, story's, memories from their time there' I'd be ever so graceful. Thanks Wendy Bolas (formerly Wendy Steele)

Last edited:
Yes... my aunt and uncle.
I was confused by the post which said the property became part of Aston Technical College in 1950s, as I'm sure the Steeles were still there in the 60s...remember visiting.... a large property with extensive grounds.
Thank you, Janice.
Annie
Annie does that mean we are related then as they were my grandparents? Regards Wendie x

Annie does that mean we are related then as they were my grandparents? Regards Wendie x
Yes, Wendie, we are related,. ... My dad was, Leslie, the youngest brother of your grandmother, May. Bobby, Raymond and Sally are my cousins.
I am close to Sally's age and remember visits to Trinity House... It seemed like a mansion to me... tennis court, bowling green and a large conservatory filled with antiques.
Aunt May and Uncle Harold were very interesting, hard working people.... and it was there I was introduced to yoghurt (in jam jars)... long before it was produced on the commercial scale we know today.
I was sorry to learn that Bobby had passed away, but hope that Sally and Raymond are well.
Regards,
Annie

Last edited:
Yes, Wendie, we are related,. ... My dad was, Leslie, the youngest brother of your grandmother, May. Bobby, Raymond and Sally are my cousins.
I am close to Sally's age and remember visits to Trinity House... It seemed like a mansion to me... tennis court, bowling green and a large conservatory filled with antiques.
Aunt May and Uncle Harold were very interesting, hard working people.... and it was there I was introduced to yoghurt (in jam jars)... long before it was produced on the commercial scale we know today.
I was sorry to learn that Bobby had passed away, but hope that Sally and Raymond are well.
Regards,
Annie
Hi Annie
How wonderful and fascinating. I know all my family on my Grandads side (Hayden Steele), but nothing on my Nans side.

Just spoke to my mom and she lived at Trinity house with my dad, Bobby, till they married. She remembers May only having a sister, but always knew there were other siblings.

This is wonderful. You are correct Trinity House did have bowling green and tennis courts. May used to ride bike, motorcycle type on the courts and ended up in the bushes. She was a character from what I was told and I'm like my dad and Aunty's Sally in her sense of humour.

Can you fill in all the gaps with a family tree sort of on my nans side. I'm 56 now with my own family. But childhood was wonderful, holidays in the caravans they owned in Rhyl and summers spent at the dairy farm in mid Wales.

Is Janice related as well?

Kind regards

Wendie

Hi Annie
How wonderful and fascinating. I know all my family on my Grandads side (Hayden Steele), but nothing on my Nans side.

Just spoke to my mom and she lived at Trinity house with my dad, Bobby, till they married. She remembers May only having a sister, but always knew there were other siblings.

This is wonderful. You are correct Trinity House did have bowling green and tennis courts. May used to ride bike, motorcycle type on the courts and ended up in the bushes. She was a character from what I was told and I'm like my dad and Aunty's Sally in her sense of humour.

Can you fill in all the gaps with a family tree sort of on my nans side. I'm 56 now with my own family. But childhood was wonderful, holidays in the caravans they owned in Rhyl and summers spent at the dairy farm in mid Wales.

Is Janice related as well?

Kind regards

Wendie
Oops forgot to answer. Yes Raymond and Sally are well last I spoke to Adrian, Raymond and Doris' son. They also had a daughter called Joanne. She is married now with two children. Obviously Adrian and Joanne are my cousins and we all grew up together and had a lovely childhood from what I can remember.

When grandad died in 1980, Sally from what I remember left her son Phillip, with his dad and moved to Norfolk She is in contact with my Aunty's Sue who is their half sister. She was the one adopted in Wales and contacted us over 20 years ago.

My dad, Bobby married my mom in 1960. Harold and May were still at Trinity House then. X

Thanks for your reply, Wendy.
Good to know Sally and Raymond are well.

May's siblings were:
Fanny b1904
George b1906
John (Jack) b1911
Joseph b1914
Leslie b1921

I have other information, but think I should contact you by PM,
as we are taking this post/thread off topic.... I'll do so in the next couple of days.

Regards,
Annie

Last edited:
Oops forgot to answer. Yes Raymond and Sally are well last I spoke to Adrian, Raymond and Doris' son. They also had a daughter called Joanne. She is married now with two children. Obviously Adrian and Joanne are my cousins and we all grew up together and had a lovely childhood from what I can remember.

When grandad died in 1980, Sally from what I remember left her son Phillip, with his dad and moved to Norfolk She is in contact with my Aunty's Sue who is their half sister. She was the one adopted in Wales and contacted us over 20 years ago.

My dad, Bobby married my mom in 1960. Harold and May were still at Trinity House then. X
Have sent you a PM, Wendy.
Annie

Back