• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Toy shop on Lea Village back in 1970’s

Brummie27

master brummie
I have fond memories on visiting the toy shop on the Lea Village when I was a child and it’s been gone years now but the shop is still there and I pass it everyday and it makes me think of what it was called. Does anyone remember the shop it was near the island and I remember going lots of times especially after I’d been unwell visiting Dr Caine’s surgery and getting a treat.

it would be great to know what it was called.

Also I remember the pet shop where there used to be a wind up piano and a monkey in a cage. I had long hair as a child and was left outside and the monkey grabbed my hair and my sisters were screaming for Mom to come and save me. I was always weary of that monkey after that day.

I have fond memories on visiting the toy shop on the Lea Village when I was a child and it’s been gone years now but the shop is still there and I pass it everyday and it makes me think of what it was called. Does anyone remember the shop it was near the island and I remember going lots of times especially after I’d been unwell visiting Dr Caine’s surgery and getting a treat.

it would be great to know what it was called.
I think it was called "Carols" and the guy who worked in the shop was Dave C.

Sorry, I don’t remember the shop being there as the chemist has always been there since I was a child.

I thought it was one of the three shops below. I think it was either Fattys party or Glamour eyezz.

any ideas?

F14406BF-87D2-46C5-B90D-9CEC42DD3C0C.png

I was basing it on the name given in post #3 and the location from the phone book for a shop of that name.

I was basing it on the name given in post #3 and the location from the phone book for a shop of that name.
You're spot on with the location Janice; Carols were the first tenants when the shop was built around the late 1950's prior to this the site was just a piece of waste ground, regards, John.

Sorry, I don’t remember the shop being there as the chemist has always been there since I was a child.

I thought it was one of the three shops below. I think it was either Fattys party or Glamour eyezz.

any ideas?

View attachment 161029
If you could say what time period you're saying you recall visiting Drs., Caines, Denton and Astons surgery it may help narrow down the place, John.

I was born in the late 60’s so mid 70’s I remember going to Dr Caine’s (it was an old house - which is now a nursery) and the Lloyds chemist was opposite. Just walk straight over the road and then walk further along over the road and the toy shop was one of the three highlighted in post before on Kitts Green Road. I just remember the shop as a child - it sure when it closed or got taken over by something else.

If I have my bearings correct then on this c1970 map the red marker is the doctors, the red loop is the chemist (originally Carol's according to the phone book as per my post #4) and the green loop is where the toy shop was.
1630587610703.png

On that corner there are 126, 128, 130 etc Lea Village. Also 318, 316, etc Kitts Green Road. Without 60s directories it is hard but 128 was Scrivens newsagents and had been there since at least the 1940s - did they sell toys or was it somewhere nearby?
126 was also a chemist - originally Hedges but by 1972 it was Westons

Back