• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Town Criers of Birmingham

Tippin

proper brummie kid
Hi,

Can any one tell me any information about the Town Criers of Birmingham during the 18th Century. I was told that my ancestor Richard Wooldridge (or Woolridge, or Woobridge, or Woodbridge) was Keeper of the Prison, Licensed Victualer, and Town Crier.

Thanks for any Information,
Tippin

Hello i have only recently joined the forum so I do not know if this info is to late
Thomas Wilson (c1700-1773) was Town Crier from 1723-1773
Jacob Wilson (1755-1827) was Town Crier from1777 - 1827
Jacob Wilson (1799-1882) was Town Crier from 1827 - 1879

Denise

I signed up to this forum today curious to see if there was any infor about my Ancestor Jacob here. How lovely to see people still remember him.
After my investigations into Jacob, I know the last poster Denise is also a descendant :encouragement: I have lots of information on Jacob if anyone is interested. His Grave is situated above the Catacooms in Warstone Lane Cemetary. There is another thread which I have also spotted which contains an image of Jacob's Grandson, James Patrick's Tombstone in the Catacoombs, below where Jacob himself lies. The graves are in a very sad state of repair now.

b48f3562-a521-432d-b4ec-06b09f931d4d-1.jpg
Jacob Wilson's Headstone.

If anyone is related to this VAST family tree, say hi! All my data is on Ancestry and open to view.

xx Sioux

Right I've had time to upload some images to include here (I 'm a bit rusty...haven't used a forum for about 4 years!!)
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.

So If I got this right, when you click on the thumbnails it should take you to a larger copy of the image.

1, 2 & 3. Jacob's Official pics in Office. My Father & Aunt used to play dress up in the Cape & Tricorn when they were children, but they fell apart many years ago. The Bell, Truncheon & Handcuffs are still in my family and well treasured.

4,5,6 & 7 Jacob's final resting place along with his wife and other family members. This is when I visited to collect info from Warstone Cemetery.

8. This Is William Jacob Wilson with his wife Ann Newman & 4 of their 5 Children W.J was Jacob's Gandson and my Gt Gt Grandfather. In the 1911 census they were living at 180, Lozells Rd (Shop), Aston Manor.Occupation: Cycle manufacturer & Furniture Dealer this evolved from Bicycle manufacture to Motor Cycle Manufacture.

9. William Jacob once again with wife Ann Newman proudly photographed on a 'Birchfield', which it would appear they were producing. The address is at the bottom of the card.

10 A Wilson family gathering which I have added the names to. C. 1930
My Grandmother is the child seated front right end. Her sister is stood far right with her arm round her mother Gertrude Annie Keen and her Father next to her also another William Jacob Wilson :encouragement:

xxx Sioux

Back