• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tonights meet about the Gun Manufacturers.

W

Wendy

Thank you to all who made it this evening. What an interesting and entertaining meet. Ken certainly has an amazing collection on the gun makers. Seeing the actual gun from the Pryse murder was really something. I wonder if thats why the police called in. Ken and Val seem impessed anyway.

Meet_about_the_gun_makers_009.JPG

Meet_about_the_gun_makers_003.JPG

Meet_about_the_gun_makers_008.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely to see Sue and her husband who both worked at Webley and Scott.

Meet_about_the_gun_makers_004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This part made my night a young apprentice named Lloyd at Westley Richards popped in and here he is talking to Sue's husband who worked at Webley and Scott for 35 years. I am sure he passed on a few tales to this lovely young man.

Meet_about_the_gun_makers_005.JPGMeet_about_the_gun_makers_006.JPG

so pleased you all had a good time wend...hope ken and val enjoyed their stay at the bull...smashing to sue and hubby at their first meet up..thanks for the pics...i cant believe that the police called in...maybe someone tipped them off..lol

ps ignore the image it didnt work..

lyn

Attachments

• dog.gif
    dog.gif
    8 KB · Views: 129
We had an amazing time and learned so much. Ken had an amazing day he visited the Proof House, the Pen Room, went to Aston Street and took some photo's of the building where Pryse gun makers were. He was taken into the cellar part of the original building. He then went to see a gun engraver at work he said it was amazing a wonderful craftsman. He is going to Westley Richards today and around the jewellery quarter including a visit to Key Hill to see the Pryse family grave and the location of the Webley graves.

Ken finished his visit today with a tour of Westley Richards our last gun manufacturer. He was thrilled as the gentleman who showed him and his friend Brian round was so helpfull and informative. We smiled as last night we asked the young apprentice from Westley Richards what he was doing. He went through a list of what he was learning and then finished by saying, also general gofer and tea maker...how nice to see that tradition carried on!
Ken has been so impressed with the welcome and kindness of the people he met and helped him and passes on his thanks.

Here is the final photo from a visit this morning to Key Hill cemetery to see the Pryse grave and the site of the Webley bros graves.
I am sure we all wish Ken the very best with his exhibition on the Wesley and Scott manufacturers this weekend at Canvey Island.

Ken_and_Wendy_002.JPG

so pleased that kens trip was a success wend and wish him well with his exhibition..

lyn

Hope Kens' exhibition goes well, really disappointed we couldn't make it, especially as dads grandad was apparently a gun maker, although we have no idea where in Birmingham he worked!
Sue

Thanks Lyn will pass on your message.

Don't worry Sue I know evenings are difficult. I have a few rellies in the gun trade so found the info very interesting.

I was so suprised how many people connected to the gun trade dropped in.

I am happy to report Ken's exhibition on Webley and Scott Birmingham gun manufactures, at Canvey Island was a great success. He spent a lot of time telling visitors of the wonderful trip he had to Birmingham as part of his research.

P1030641.JPG P1030656.JPG Webley_Scott_exhibition.JPG

Thanks Wendy great evening please give our best to Ken for sending the pics hope you have another get together at some point - kind regards

Thank you Sue it was lovely to meet you and your husband. It was nice for me as well, as it was Michael's first trip out after his fall. At least it was a nice evening and he could walk around.

Back