• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tilton Road bordesley green

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
heres a pic of tilton road....looking towards garrison lane with tilton road school in the distance. taken in the 50s.

astoness

its great isnt it.... i am always hoping for members to see the pics i post and say... hey thats me... as in those days we were always to busy playing in the streets to notice if pictures were being taken.

astoness

thanks john... i like it too.. i am forever looking for more...i have mentioned this before but for those who dont know carl chinns birmingham lives site is well under way with the updating....its best to check this site out at regular intervals in the day as the 3 for instance pics are constantly changing and of course you can use the search box for pics or stories of perticular streets/roads.

lyn

That's the first photo of Tilton Rd I have seen on here. My family used to live in the other part, over Garrison lane. I have some photos of that half but have no idea how to post them on here.

Susan Maughan 1960's singer. Susan Maughan b1942 lived in Greenway Street Small Heath and went to Tilton Road school before hitting the charts with Bobby's Girl. Len.

My paternal grandmother was born in Tilton Road in 1898..but the name then was "Kelynge St"....all my schooling was at Tilton road school....

Margaret.

margret..thanks for that info.. although not my neck of the woods i would assume the name change must have been before the birmingham ciy football club was built as i beleive there is a tilton road end at the club....

astoness

thinking about it i dont know how long there has been a tilton road stand at the ground...maybe a true blue nose could let us know..

astoness

The 1903 kellys , which would refer to 1903, shows it as Tilton road,and so does the Alan godfrey map. This is stated on the map as having had a revision in 1903. so change was between 1898 and 1903
Mike

oh great photo of tilton .i was there in school in1967 ,and yes there arnt many of these pics about ,of this school.i was in the girls school there my first senior school. this school was beutiful inside very ornate so glad they didnt pull it down like so many others . thanks harley.

SORRY HARLEY.....my understanding is that that Tilton Rd Schools have now been demolished...all gone !

The information I was given about the name change for KELYNGE ST was that it was named for a family of bankers, but after being found with their hands in the till the name was changed...but they kept the street named after one of the sons...GREENWAY Street !!!!

Margaret.

A road with a tragic history in the Bham v Leeds Utd riots where a young fan died when a wall collapsed

lencops

Have you got mixed up with the first photograph? It looks like Garrison Lane School where I started on my 5th birthday.

Junie

I think The George was one of the pubs My nan and family used a lot in the 50s and 60s She was about 60 then and used to take me as a little 5 year old and her black and white dog around on her pub crawl . Any one remeber Sarah Rhodes/Payton or her son Jack/Tom Payton (he was a football player and a heavyweight Boxer Kid payton) and my dad as a young man Harry payton ? Needless to say they were always B'ham City Fans . Up The Blues !!!!

The picture is taken near the paper shop, were we used to get the 'Argus' from on Saturday nights.

Hi there

We lived at 8 back of 69 (the last court before the bombsite on the
corner opposite the Royal George) between 1967 and 1969. The entrance to the court was the 'tunnel' between 67 and 69, roughly where the children are in the picture. The shop at that time was called Dolly's.
I wonder if you remember the day and night thumping of the drop hammer
at Williams' Supaslim spanner factory opposite the shop?

Happy memories

Dave

When i became a Blues fan in 1947 "Williams Superslim Spanner" drop forging hammer could be heard all through the game and some of the workers would look out of the factory and watch the game. Len.

When i became a Blues fan in 1947 "Williams Superslim Spanner" drop forging hammer could be heard all through the game and some of the workers would look out of the factory and watch the game. Len.

I bet the noise of that hammer didn't do the hearing of the Williams
employees much good. I was never a football fan, but I did notice that
if a match from the Blues' ground was being broadcast, and a goal was scored, you heard the roar from the crowd on the radio slightly before it got to you through the air direct from the ground. A wonderful thing,
technology!!

Dave

Dave89, There were no ear defenders given to workers in those days, Health & Safety regulations were unheard of, if you complained about noise etc you were told to shut up and get on with your work!. Len.

Hey Lencops

At Tilton Road Seniors, I was in the same class of the sister of Susan Maughan (sadly my memory has gone and i can't remember her name, but i do remember going to her house and listening to her sisters record, 'Bobby's girl' before it was released :) and it became my favourite record because at the time, at 10 years old, i was in love with Bobby Clark, our next door neighbours son :)

I also went to Garrison Lane Nursery and remember doing a short play; about Hiawatha :) I also remember all the beds where we had to lie down and have a nap in the afternoon :)

We lived in the maisonettes on the corner of gordon street/wolseley street, opposite the Acorn Pub/Barwell Road - happy days they were :) :) we all played around the canal and got up to all sorts of innocent pranks. One Sunday a few of us got into Shakespeares metalworks in Barwell Road and climbed onto the roof, climbing up a mountain of metal shavings - once on the roof we had to be careful and walk across the beams. We were all there looking over into garrison lane park and someone saw us and shouted, so everyone ran back - they all remembered to run across the beams, but i didn't and fell through the roof into the gents toilets - had to climb out and explain to mom how i had cut my leg (i didn't tell her the whole truth naturally - well, i did tell her about 20 years later :).

We also all had a thriving business 'saving cars' when there was a match on at the blues ground. We would run up to anyone parking and ask 'save your car sir' and look after it waiting for the tip when they returned - some were lucky and would get to save a coach :) that meant a bigger tip.... we were all entrepeneurs eh :)

Living there was great - playing in the streets having lots of fun - i feel sorry for kids today, they haven't got the same freedom that we had.

Col h

Please look at posting no's. 23 and 25 and you will see that the first photograph is of Garrison Lane School and the second one is of Tilton Road. I attended both.

Junie.

Thank you so much for posting the Tilton Road photograph.I lived on that side of the street,just a little further up from where the photograph was taken and swung on ropes attatched to that very lampost.I lived in Tilton Road from the early 50's until 1967.attended Tilton Road school,infant and juniors.I remember Gardners shop that seemed to sell everything,and the Royal George pub,where I went to fetch my grandads beer from the offlicence in a tin jug.Both my sisters went to the school and the girls senior school.Thanks again,I have no photographs of the street and this has brought back so many memories. regards

I think Susan Maughan's sister was Irene we used to play together at my house in Glover St.My aunt Frances (Patrick) used to bring her down.
Hey Lencops

At Tilton Road Seniors, I was in the same class of the sister of Susan Maughan (sadly my memory has gone and i can't remember her name, but i do remember going to her house and listening to her sisters record, 'Bobby's girl' before it was released :) and it became my favourite record because at the time, at 10 years old, i was in love with Bobby Clark, our next door neighbours son :)

I also went to Garrison Lane Nursery and remember doing a short play; about Hiawatha :) I also remember all the beds where we had to lie down and have a nap in the afternoon :)

We lived in the maisonettes on the corner of gordon street/wolseley street, opposite the Acorn Pub/Barwell Road - happy days they were :) :) we all played around the canal and got up to all sorts of innocent pranks. One Sunday a few of us got into Shakespeares metalworks in Barwell Road and climbed onto the roof, climbing up a mountain of metal shavings - once on the roof we had to be careful and walk across the beams. We were all there looking over into garrison lane park and someone saw us and shouted, so everyone ran back - they all remembered to run across the beams, but i didn't and fell through the roof into the gents toilets - had to climb out and explain to mom how i had cut my leg (i didn't tell her the whole truth naturally - well, i did tell her about 20 years later :).

We also all had a thriving business 'saving cars' when there was a match on at the blues ground. We would run up to anyone parking and ask 'save your car sir' and look after it waiting for the tip when they returned - some were lucky and would get to save a coach :) that meant a bigger tip.... we were all entrepeneurs eh :)

Living there was great - playing in the streets having lots of fun - i feel sorry for kids today, they haven't got the same freedom that we had.

Back