• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Siviter Smith

W

Wendy

These are two photo's of the Smith family grave before and after the health and safety visit. Thomas Siviter Smith was a prominet Birmingham attorney. His father William was a builder employing over a hundred men in 1851 when a lot of housing was being built in and around Birmingham. I wonder does anyone have any more information or even a connection to this family? Jane Eden Lewis the sister of Thomas is buried in the grave also
Siviter_Memorial.jpgSiveter_Smith.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops sorry forgot to post the photo of the inscription of the front of the monument. It must have been quite something as the sandstone is now quite worn.

I only just found this thread - I am interested in Thomas Siviter Smith's son Howard Pelling Smith who married my greatgrandfather's youngest sister, Alexandra Anne McBean Smith, in 1897. Howard was a coffee merchant from Birmingham, his brother Frank Eden Smith was a witness at the wedding. I have no record of Howard and Alexandra after their marriage: he had previously been to Brazil, presumably buying coffee, and I guess may have returned there to live. Were there any other family members memorialised on the monnument? Many thanks for posting the pix.
Marg

Hello Marg and welcome to the forum. This is the only info I have at the moment but I will look into it further.

Here is the inscription.

Section P Grave No 573-574
Jane Eden Lewis daughter of William Smith and Mary Ann Smith born Nov 5th 1842 died Oct 8? 1926. Side 2 Also Thomas S Smith born Feb 14th 1833 died Jan 26 1894 (remaining inscription not legible). Mary Ann Hall (1916) not legible.

Just spotted this thread - The Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane cemeteries are imminiently awaiting the arrival of the Stonemasons (delayed on a previous job over running), to attempt to out back the Siviter Smith Memorial.
It's a bit of an experiment since the new 'elf & safety' guidelines and the Stonemasons Standards do not actually cover such a monument! They only cover standard upright solid blocks!
Whilst awaiting their arrival, Colin Giles decided to check out the inscriptions in order to ascertain what wills, etc exist in the Library.

To our amazement, the Inscription guide only contains a fraction.

I do not have the inscriptions to hand, Colin has them, but the listed on them are -

John Smith 1842, Anne Piggott Smith 1849, John carpenter Smith 1881, William Piggott Smith 1888, Mary Anne Smith 1892, Thiomas Siviter Smith 1894, Lucy Pelling Smith 1913, Jane Eden Lewis 1926,

Also faiontly visible are Mary Ann Hall 1916 & William Smith 1881.

As soon as we get it put back up - I'll post pics.

Two sides have inscriptions that are very faint - If you want to see them without the aid of a ladder - get down quick!

It's Guided tour day this Sunday at 2 for Key Hill. 12 for Warstone Lane, with a quick tidy up of WL 10-12.

Brian

Thanks, Wendy and Brian.

Since I'm stuck in Sydney, Australia I really appreciate information from people on the ground. I hope you have a lovely day on Sunday for your Friends' tour.

Cheers,

Margaret

Brian for some reason your photo's don't enlarge. It would be better for Margaret if they did as they are so good...x

Sorry, my pics were too big to be loaded - over 25 somethings - so I compressed them to make them smaller.
In the morning, I'll try and uncompress them and just resize under the 25 limit - hopefully that may work.

Brian

No problem Brian I do understand I was just thinking of Margaret as it would be a bit difficult for her to drop in and see the memorial....lol

My computer dioes not seem capable to undo the compressed picture?!
I'll re take them on Sunday and shrink them to just below the 25 thingies and repost

Sorry Margaret - the inscriptions were faint, but did come out on the pic - If I magnify the compressed pic I can't read them myself at present!

Brian

Dear Brian,

Thanks for trying - I really appreciate this. It's certainly an impressive collection of memorial inscriptions.

Margaret

Brian, these are excellent. The only extra words i can see below Ann Smith is something about 'square of Sussex' which may relate to anything! Thanks for putting these up, it fills in a great chunk of this family: Smiths are so hard to pin down.

Cheers,

Margaret

Hi - just Googled and found this fascinating thread - I am in the process of tracing my wife's (Amanda nee Wheler) maternal line which had largely been unknown to her. Her paternal line is well researched as the Whelers were a prominent Warwickshire family out of Leamington Hastings. I have established that her maternal Grandfather was Frank Eden Smith son of Thomas and Amina Smith who also had a son they named Thomas Siviter who like his father was a lawyer based in Birmingham. We know that William Smith was a substantial builder in the 19th century as confirmed above, and that his father also William was born in Hampshire. What I am interested to determine is if there is any link with the 18th century Warwick architect dynasty of William Smith of Warwick (1661-1724). Would really appreciate it if you can help me unravel this mystery!

The photo's are missing off this thread I have replaced the first two. The good news as well is hopefully the monument will be back up soon. Brian will have more news on this.

Here is a photo I took today of the re-erected Siviter Smith family memorial. I think the stonemasons have done an excellent job!

Siviter_Memorial_Key_Hill_1~0.JPG

Siviter_Memorial_Key_Hill_2.JPG

Siviter_Memorial_Key_Hill_3.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy, they have made a lovely job of the restoration. So good to see it back where it should be!!
rosie.

Yes it does look good such an unusual memorial. This is how it looked back in 2003 when I first took a photo of it.

Siveter_Smith.jpgThen it was taken down by health and safety!!Siviter_Memorial.jpg So now it's nice to see it back as it should be.

Back