• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Rogers, Rifleman, KRR Corps. Reg No.1878 7th Battalion

smtr

master brummie
Hi

I am trying to find out more about my Great Uncle Thomas Rogers. I have his pension records and he was discharged under KR 392 XVi.
He is mentioned in the National Roll of the Great War,

'Mobilised from the Reserve at the outbreak of war, he proceeded to France in August 1914, and served through the retreat from Mons. He also took part in the Battles of the Marne, the Alane(?), In Bassee and Ypres, and was badly wounded in action at Neuve Chapelle. He holds the Mons Star and the General Service and Victory Medals.'

My reason for posting is to ask if anyone can direct me to more information regarding the Battles he took part in please.

Many thanks

Suzanne

The second battle should be the Aisne.

The opening battles of WW1 are well documented and you should have no trouble finding info if you 'Google' them.
No doubt his discharge under Kings Regulations are due to his wounds and making him unfit for further service.

Terry

Hello Suzanne

Mini-histories all here: https://www.1914-1918.net/wf.htm. Click on the name of each battle for more details. Terry is right, it is Aisne, and the next one is La Bassee.

BUT before you delve too deeply, I don't think the "National Roll" entry is at all accurate. This is unfortunately typical of that publication, which was compiled after the war and listed entries of people who paid a subscription to be included.

I'm just going off the regimental number with which you titled your thread.

His medal index card shows that he enlisted into the army on 24 August 1914. Mons took place the day before he enlisted! He was discharged on 27 June 1916.

This is obviously significantly different to the National Roll information. What does the pension record suggest? I looked it up. He did enlist on 24 August 1914 and was not a reservist at that time. He was posted to join the new 7th (Service) Battalion of the KRRC and landed in France with the battalion in May 1915. He was wounded (shrapnel wounds to his back and buttocks, fractured left elbow) in the battalion's fighting at Hooge on 30 July 1915 and admitted to No 2 Canadian General Hospital on 2 August. He returned home and was in hospital until December 1915, did not return to France and was discharged as being permanently physically unfit on 27 June 1916.

So ... not Mons and the Aisne etc but a battle known as the "Action of Hooge". I have not added details of that battle to the site just yet but am happy to post a bit here if you are interested.

Hope that helps!

Just found something I had written before, all about the fighting at Hooge:

On 2nd June 1915, a severe German bombardment from 5am to noon, followed by an infantry attack from the Northeast, led to the loss of the ruins of the Chateau and Stables at Hooge. At this time the position had been occupied by regiments of the 3rd Cavalry Division. During the evening, two Companies of the 1st Lincolns and one of the 4th Royal Fusiliers of 9th Brigade of the 3rd Division counterattacked and successfully recovered the Stables.

At 7pm on 19th July 1915, a large mine was exploded by 175th Tunnelling Company RE, under a German trench position. The spoil from the detonation threw up a lip 15 feet high, around a crater 20 feet deep and 120 feet wide. After the firing, it was immediately occupied by two Companies of the 4th Middlesex (8th Brigade of 3rd Division). British artillery quelled all signs of German attempts to recover the crater.

German retaliation came on 30th July 1915. The Hooge sector was now being held by 41st Brigade of 14th (Light) Division, which had taken over the area only a week before. The 8th Rifle Brigade held the near crater lip, with the 7th KRRC on their right, across the main Menin road. These battalions had relieved the others of the Brigade during the night. At 3.15am, with dramatic suddenness, the ruins of the Stables were blown up, and jets of flame shot across from the German trenches. This was the first time in warfare that liquid fire flamethrowers had been used. Immediately a deluge of fire of all kinds fell on the Brigade, and on all support positions back to Zouave Wood and Sanctuary Wood. The ramparts of Ypres and the exits from the town were also shelled. The Germans achieved complete surprise, but although the British front lines were evacuated, they did not follow beyond them. There was intensive hand to hand fighting in some trenches; eventually virtually all of the positions held by the Brigade were lost. The 42nd Brigade on the left was not attacked, and the left battalion of the 46th (North Midland) Division on the right, held on. Division rushed up reinforcements, and a new line along the edge of the woods was formed. At 11.30am, orders were issued for a counterattack by the 41st and 42nd Brigades. A feeble 45 minute bombardment preceded this. The 41st Brigade attack at 2.45pm, by the 6th DCLI, failed, with no man approaching closer than 150 yards the new German positions; the 9th KRRC of the 42nd fared better and recovered some of the lost lines. The 43rd Brigade relived the badly-hit 41st during the late afternoon and evening. During the night, another flamethrower attack was repulsed, but further effort by the 14th Division on the 31st came to nothing against heavy German shellfire.

A surprise attack by 6th Division on 9th August 1915 regained all of the ground lost, including the ruins of the Chateau Stables.

Chris

Thanks for clarifying matters!

I will have a good read now.

I did wonder why only certain people were mentioned in the National Roll.
I am off to Kew next Wednesday as I am hoping to find out more about the Rogers brothers. Thomas was my Grandfather's brother and there are also 5 more, Walter, William, Samuel & John (twins) and James.

I realise I may not be too lucky in finding service records of all of them but I am HOPING to at least find Anthony's records who was my grandfather.

Many thanks.

Suzanne

Back