• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas Kenning

• Thread starter Thread starter Liza
  • Start date Start date
L

Liza

Hello
I'm happily researching my family tree and have found that my Gt Grandfather Thomas Kenning was born at the back of 36 Adelaide Street in Aston. I don't know much about the area and can't find an 'Adelaide st' in the A-Z. Does anyone know where it was or still is? Thomas was born in 1866 and his parents were Joseph and Mary (nee Titchin)

Can anyone help?

thanks for your time
Liz :)

Thomas was living in Darwin Street Aston (Highgate) in 1881 if you scan the entries before Adelaide street was enumerated you will find Darwin Street,Highgate.

Postie you have the right Adelaide St, it was in Aston prior to 1911 when it was taken over by Birmingham

Alberta said:
Thomas was living in Darwin Street Aston (Highgate) in 1881 if you scan the entries before Adelaide street was enumerated you will find Darwin Street,Highgate.

Thanks for the information about Highgate. I'm particularly interested that you have Thomas living in Darwin St in 1881 as I've been unable to find him on the census other than in 1901 when he is married to Sarah Jane. I'm not sure if anyone on this forum would remember/know but Thomas and Sarah had a garage business in Dawlish Rd (I think it's in Selly Oak - am I allowed to mention non-Aston places? ;) ) Before 1901 I don't know anything other than Thomas' birth date.

Thanks again for any info
Liz

Sorry Liza,
Gave you completely incorrect info.I meant to say Thomas in Adelaide street and that it was next enumeration to Darwin street Highgate.
Still incorrect as the Thomas in Adelaide street had different parents to yours.
Sorry put it down to my advanced years.
1881 census entry
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Household:

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
George KENNING Head M Male 51 Bham, Warwick, England Pearl Button Maker
Amelia KENNING Wife M Female 52 Bham, Warwick, England
Jane KENNING Daur U Female 21 Bham, Warwick, England Paper Fastener
George KENNING Son U Male 18 Bham, Warwick, England Brass Founder Dresser
Thomas KENNING Son U Male 14 Bham, Warwick, England Fender Maker D22/8
Minnie KENNING Daur Female 12 Bham, Warwick, England Scholar
Emily KENNING Daur Female 10 Bham, Warwick, England Scholar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source Information:
Dwelling 3 Court 1 Adelaide St
Census Place Aston, Warwick, England

Hi Liza,
Hope I can redeem myself a little with the following info.

There is an entry on 1881 of family named Kenion have checked and they do not exist.Have checked the births of the children on the entry in particular Stephen Kenion and in the same year a Stephen Kenning was born in Aston.On the entry is a grand child surname Fletcher,
Sarah Ann Kenning married John Fletcher 1877.
1881 entry
Dwelling: 10 Bk 6 Pope St
Census Place: Birmingham, Warwick, England
Source: FHL Film 1341709 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 2964 Folio 111 Page 2
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Mary A. KENION W 45 F Birmm
Rel: Head
Occ: Charwoman
John KENION U 18 M Birmm
Rel: Son
Occ: Metal Polisher
Thos. KENION U 17 M Birmm
Occ: Metal Polisher
Stephen KENION U 14 M Birmm
Occ: Errand Boy
Geoe. KENION U 10 M Birmm
Occ: Scholar
Ellen FLETCHER U 3 F Birmm
Rel: G Daur
Occ: Scholar

There is an entry for death of Joseph Kenning 1879.
1891 census
Address 5 Brookfield place
Thomas Kenning age 27 Silver polisher
Sarah J age 26 wife
Thomas 6
Sarah 4
Frank 2
Alfred 1.

wow! Thanks Alberta for taking the time and trouble to check all that info on my behalf! The 'kenions' match with Thomas' siblings I think and the children on the 1891 are correct with the 1901 entry that I have. I've been searching on Ancestry but have not found an entry for 1891. I did find a 'Maryon' Kenning living with her son and presumed Joseph to have died - she was aged just five according to the record, but was listed as 'mother', so it's no wonder things get confused :)
I'm really pleased with this information- thanks again.

Liz

Back