• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Thomas CLARK, Hot House Manufacturers

Pat Hase

Brummie babby
I've been researching Thomas CLARK junior, who was a Hot House Manufacturer at 55 Lionel Street from about 1827. I believe the firm before he took it over was CLARK & JONES. Thomas CLARK married a Sarah JONES in 1822 at St Martin's and I wonder whether she was related to the previous partner.
He took his family to Weston-super-Mare in 1836 on holiday and wrote a diary covering his experiences which is in the Somerset Record Office and I would like to find out more about the family.
With thanks
Pat

Pat,

There is information on Thomas Clark/Clark & Jones in John Hix's book The Glasshouse, page 118. if you can't find it let me know. Hix says their order books survive but doesn't say where they are! I have also found references in the Gardener's Magazine, 1843 (they supplied and built the glasshouses at Frogmore) and, probably, other early magazines and directories. There appear to be other B'ham hot house makers at the time, including Thomas Jones of Bradford St & Cheapside and Jones of Birmingham; the relationship, if any, between them needs to be sorted out. B'ham City archives has Clark's manuscript autobiography (ref MS 1114) for the early 19th century.

I am interested because the firm supplied hot house around the country. I would like to make a list of his customers.

Please let me know what you have found.

JE

Back