• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Then And Now Maps.

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
It is a 'Then and Now' with maps showing a modern satellite view side by side with an old map view and a place selected on the satelllite view pin points on the old map. The old map shown in my link is 1885 to 1900 but there are others.

The house I lived in as a small child was on the Perry Beeches estate and was built about 1936. My dad often mentioned that when he first dug the back garden he almost fell into a cellar which had been covered over. I used the map to look at the exact spot and sure enough there were farm buildings there before the house was built. Selecting the later 1937 map shows how the Birmingham suburbs spread out. It covers most of the UK. Click the link to see it.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...at=52.5628&lon=-1.7647&layers=1&right=BingHyb

It is a 'Then and Now' with maps showing a modern satellite view side by side with an old map view and a place selected on the satelllite view pin points on the old map. The old map shown in my link is 1885 to 1900 but there are others.

The house I lived in as a small child was on the Perry Beeches estate and was built about 1936. My dad often mentioned that when he first dug the back garden he almost fell into a cellar which had been covered over. I used the map to look at the exact spot and sure enough there were farm buildings there before the house was built. Selecting the later 1937 map shows how the Birmingham suburbs spread out. It covers most of the UK. Click the link to see it.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...at=52.5628&lon=-1.7647&layers=1&right=BingHyb

I can be a map geek! Love this link. Installed on my favourites bar.

Back