• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Woodman in Hockley

Peter Hunt

knowlegable brummie
Does anyone remember the Woodman on the corner of Bar Street and Wells Street when Grace and Albert Aitkin’s ran it in the 70’s?
It is still there today but looks a little run down.
Peter

If I remember correctly i used to work with their son (name escapes me) whilst I worked at Collis Radio & TV in the Newtown shopping centre,
we used to nip in after work for a few bevvy's, nice well run pub.

There was another decent pub on Barr Street a little further down on the opposite side, used to have live music nights, another Collis employee used to play the saxophone in there.

There was another decent pub on Barr Street a little further down on the opposite side, used to have live music nights, another Collis employee used to play the saxophone in there.

I think that would have been the Pelican, still there but not a pub anymore.

yes i used to go in the woodman in the 70s...i remember that one night amy turtle who was in crossroads was in there...was her real name ann george ??? it closed a while back but i beleieve its now re opened...

lyn

Yes, it was John, I remembered last night, nice young man, and his parents were always very accommodating to his friends too.

I am doing my family history research and my 2nd Great Grand Uncle, Edwin Brown ran the Woodman in Barr St. until his death in 1898. Does the building still exist and is it still a pub. I now live in Somerset but visit Brum often, and if it is there I will take some photos on my next visit.

My GrandParents Ran The Woodman Inn, Barr Street Hockley
their names where Grace & Albert Atkinson,
My uncle John Ran the pub
And my dad Albert Atkinson also helped with myself on a sunday morning to do the bottles in the yard
i can also remember cleaning in the snug all the brass and copper
unfortunately my grandad died in 1992 followed by my nan in 2007

BnnH2esIIAAEm_W.jpg
the European cup 1982,

hello stephanie what a wonderful photograph thank you for sharing it with us it will also please all the villa fans...is that your nan and grandad holding the cup..our mom and dad would have been drinking at the woodman at this time

lyn

Last edited:
great stephanie...would love to see any others you may have...forgot to say that mom worked behind the bar round about 1974/5

lyn

i would have been between 6 - 7 years old then ...
can anyone remember the 1977 street party that my grandparents held ..all the tables outside ..and the games they held
im sure my dad will have photos i will ask him when i next see him ..

i would have been between 6 - 7 years old then ...
can anyone remember the 1977 street party that my grandparents held ..all the tables outside ..and the games they held
im sure my dad will have photos i will ask him when i next see him ..

i was living in gt barr in 1977 steph...look forward to seeing more photos when time permits...

lyn

Last edited:
Edwin Brown was my great great grandfather, I'm also doing my family tree. Which of Edwin's siblings was your ancestor? Edwin's parents certainly had plenty of children - he was the youngest of 8 including the wonderfully named Aquilla

Edwin Brown was my great great grandfather, I'm also doing my family tree. Which of Edwin's siblings was your ancestor? Edwin's parents certainly had plenty of children - he was the youngest of 8 including the wonderfully named Aquilla

Susie, my Great great Grandfather was James Brown, Edwin's eldest brother. I have the family as having 9 siblings, James, Joshua, Charles, Priscilla, William, Martha, Aquilla, Alfred and Edwin. If you are on Ancestry.com you can see the detail on the Day-Brown Family Tree. I haven't got back any further on this line than James, our Great Great Great Grandfather married to Martha Priscilla West whose parents were John and Sarah.

If we can share info. it would be good. If you are OK with that I'll send my email address by private message.

Duncan

Hi Duncan,
I sent you a reply a couple of days ago which seems to have disappeared somehow, can find no trace of it!
Yes, send me your personal email, it would be good to exchange info.
Susie

Susie,
Tried to send yo a Private Message but it appears your settings do not allow it at the moment. Can you change the settings to allow private messages to be recieved otherwise I'll give you my mobile No.
Duncan

I think I've sorted it now, changed settings, try again. If you still can't email me you'd better give me your mobile number.
Susie

Back