• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the vulcan shoeing and jobbing forge hockley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
just having a look through one of my books and came across a photo of the vulcan shoeing and jobbing forge...would anyone be able to find out exactly where abouts in hockley it was please and post a map....many thanks ps from memory i am pretty sure i have heard of a pub called the vulcan on the corner of new john st west but no idea if it was anywhere near this place and of course there may have been more than one vulcan pub

lyn

Last edited:
The is a van sale advert in 1906 with address Nursery Road, Shoeing Forge, Hockley.
thanks pedro...this place has a specific name of the the vulcan shoeing and jobbing forge so cant be certain if it was the one in nursery road...

lyn

thanks again pedro...can you find anything for one named the vulcan shoeing and jobbing please ?

lyn

Can’t see one for Vulcan, but another 1886, back of Shoeing Forge, Howard Street, Constitution Hill.

There was a Vulcan Foundry in Bridge Street West in 1865 - any connection to the pub and/or the shoeing smith?

Screenshot_20231208_095234_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
So perhaps the shoeng and jobbing forge was part of the Vulcan works (?) Seems unlikely to be a small independent forge with a name like 'Vulcan' sounds like it was part of some larger business

just having a look through one of my books and came across a photo of the vulcan shoeing and jobbing forge...would anyone be able to find out exactly where abouts in hockley it was please and post a map....many thanks ps from memory i am pretty sure i have heard of a pub called the vulcan on the corner of new john st west but no idea if it was anywhere near this place and of course there may have been more than one vulcan pub

lyn
Think the Vulcan reference refers to a type of Horse shoe made in a a drop forge:

"Vulcan’s Blenkinsop rolled toe horseshoe is an early breakover shoe that follows a pattern introduced to the British Army in the latter half of the 19th century.

The horse’s athletic movement is at the centre of this shoe’s design. Drawing on solid principles, the Blenkinsop horseshoe moves the fulcrum point of the toe back naturally towards the centre of the hoof and follows normal wear patterns to allow the foot to leave the ground faster than with a conventional toe."

Horse & Farrier advertises "Vulcan Graduated Shoes"

Vulcan Heart Bars, Which is a type of horseshoe​

Drop Forged, mild steel heart bar shoe.
An easy to fit shoe with excellent support.
Side clipped and pre-countersunk for studs.

Just in case this means anything, there was a Vulcan Brewery at Tower Road Aston in 1893. (My thinking was horse-drawn carts delivering beer barrels, regularly needing shoeing).

In answer to Lyns memory of a Vulcan Inn, I can confirm there was a Vulcan Inn on New John Street West in 1897.

Correct Pedro, but don't yet know how long it operated before 1883.

Last edited:
It does not seem to appear in Kellys however.

in passing, though probably of little use, Matthew Butcher (from 1881 census) was probably a carriage builder at 38 Poole St.

I think you have it Janice. The Vulcan brewery was established in Tower Road in 1878, and the site was sold to HP sauce after being taken over by M & B in 1898

Back