• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Vento Manufacturing Co

Littlefield

Brummie babby
I am trying to find out about this company. I know they were at 104 and 206 Colmore Row around 1906. I think the founder(s) of the company may be Thomas Wyatt and William McNab as they have a patent for a seld supplying sprayer with this address in 1908.

From Kellys Directories (Year is publication date and may refer to year before)

1908 The Vento Manufacturing Co, brassfounders, 104-105 Colmore Row.

From subsequent years entries 104.105 appears to be offices occupied by a large number of companies, and not a manufacturing facility.

104-105 is not listed for 1903, 1904, suggesting that in 1908 it was a new building. Similarly the Vento Co is not then listed .

1910 The Vento Manufacturing Co, brassfounders is listed at 25A Witton Road in the commercial listing, but this does not agree with the street listing, in the same volume, which does not list the company there or at the Colmore Row address.

I presume you got your information from the two adverts in the newspaper archives. There seems to be a missprint, in that the numbers of /colmore /row do not go as high as 206, and it probably should be 105

In 1908 Vento seem to be one of many sharing 104 and 106 Colmore Row, and Martin and Martin then listed singularly at 106. Looks like Vento offices were there for a short period.

Thank you for the replies. I did get the address from an advert in the West Sussex County times and it makes sense that this is missprint. The address in the patent is 104 Colmore Row. However, I have just noticed that this is also the adresss of the patent agent Edwd J Payne & Son, so I suspect they may have been using this as their official address, but had a workshop elsewhere. It is interesting that they were listed at another addresss in 1910 as brassfounders.

Back