• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The turks head...closed

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
another one bites the dust:( the turks head...lancaster st is now close and up for let...

lyn

Attachments

• Aston Turks Head Lancaster St.jpg
    Aston Turks Head Lancaster St.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 16
I have drank in there on many occasions we used to call it The Turks Napper:D

Mau-reece

How sad,

my dear departed Dad used to go in there when he had been to the town to get some fish for his dinner. He started to use it after Mom had passed on and he had out lived all of his old friends. I used to go and sit with him sometimes, would have been in the late 1990's.

I used it in the late 1970's with an old girlfriend.

hi zak...i used it in the 70s with an old boyfriend...funny thing is he came from kingstanding...lol

lyn

Weoly Castle inn is closed up now

Attachments

• Weoley Castle The Weoley Castle.jpg
    Weoley Castle The Weoley Castle.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi Astoness,

So you remember I am from Kingstanding originaly then:D

The girlfriend I used to go to the Turks Head with came from Great Barr "the posh end" where all of us council house kids from "the standing" wanted to live. It was late 70's I met her in 1977 and we were no longer an item by the end of December 1979.

hi zak..well it says you were born in kingstanding under your name:D:D i used to like the turks head...we would start off there sometimes and then head off into town..using the cabin...costers...filibuster..tavern in the town..mulberry bush..after that lot i forgot the others:cry: this was in the early 70s so i doubt our paths crossed...

lyn:)

Oh yes how silly of me it says where I was born, :rolleyes:

I liked Costermongers as well used to love the heavy rock music that was played there, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, Hawkwind - great days we had there.

Is it still there ?

Shame about the Turks Head, I decided last year that on the anniversary of my Dads death I would have the day off work and get the train into Brum go to Witton Cemetery and then have a few beers in the Pubs that Dad used to use. Last year was the first anniversary and I went to the The Grave Diggers, and The Church Tavern. I thought this year that i would go to The Turks Head and the Bar St Martin he used to pop into when in town. Looks like it will just have to be the Bar St Martin unless the Turks Head is open again.

Can't go to the other Pubs he used to use, they are all closed !

yes yak...costers is still there...such a shame that so many of our pubs are long gone and far to many being closed now...pity you cant use the turks but hopefully it will reopen...

cheers..

lyn

hi ya maggie...yes its still there..not too sure now if they have change the name...ive got to go into town on monday so i will have a look...boy that was a noisy place:rolleyes::rolleyes: happy days...

lyn

Two pubs that have not only closed down but knocked down too in tha last 12 months, The Uplands, Oxhill Road,Handsworth, The Raven, Weoley Castle.On the brighter side the old Argos store in One Stop Perry Barr is now a Weatherspoons.

Attachments

• Weoley Castle Raven .JPG
    Weoley Castle Raven .JPG
    122 KB · Views: 0
  • Handsworth Uplands Oxhill Rd .jpg
    Handsworth Uplands Oxhill Rd .jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
Oh thats a shame about the Uplands ..when i was little we used to pass there to go to the cemetery ..i remember it was a lovely building ..the one that really upset me when it was knocked down was the Beeches .Northfield .i know it was rough but the building was beautiful

noticed another boarded up on the way home from the meet up yesterday .BA on Dudley Road:(

Attachments

• Winson Green Dudley Rd Birmingham Arms (2).jpg
    Winson Green Dudley Rd Birmingham Arms (2).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
thanks mike im so pleased to hear that as i have fond memories of the turks head...

lyn:)

really sad I have had many a illegal pint at the Turks Head when about 15/16 years old poor old Brum slowly but surely disapearing.
paul stacey

We also used to go to The Turks in the 70s .Start off in Lamplighter which also closed now i think ,and probably end up in The Ben Johnson. Had some good nights downstairs in The Turks Head especially if there were a crowd of you .

hi ya topsy..i feel sure our paths must have crossed.. apart from us going to the same school .the lamp the turks and ben johnson were all on my list too..we must have a good chat at the xmas bash...:)

lyn

Small world when you think about it lyn, I think we must have tried every pub in Newtown at one stage,King of the Road,Man o War,Cross Guns,etc.They were all the new ones at the time, so more than lightly our paths have crossed at some time or another.

yes i would say so topsy....man o war and king of the road demolished as you prob know...think the cross guns has gone as well..i bet we staggered past each other a few times lol..

looking forward to meeting you soon for a chin wag...

lyn

Stagger or no stagger we still found our way to The Sky Blue,as did half of Newtown:sick:
Yes look forward to meeting you Lyn.

hi lynn
i dare say i have passed your path as well going by your pub crawl listing
was nt the cross guns first opened by davenports brewery they done a lovely bitter
and after the hearing of the dear old turks going at least one of my old haunts and favorite pub which i heard from some one the other day
that the dear old windmill pub is still going strong on dudley rd oppersite the city hospital i first went there as a young fella along wth a good old friend nipper adams from new spring street and when old stan kirby used to run it many many years ago and when they used to open at 10 30 in the morning
and i have been told by a old couple of my friends still drinking in there so i have promised my self a trip over there this week end
the only other oub that was good as that wind mill was the lee bridge taverern and down stairs in the taragas bar
the old ba was an half decent pub but the duke of wellinton was always half empty if it was lucky the next busy pub was the yorkshire grey always busy and the banging of dommies been playing oh how yearn for that pint now the wind mill special astonion

hi alan and once again thanks for your lovely memories..yes i noticed that the windmill is still open but i think the birmingham arms further down is still closed...by the way the turks head is open again for business so thats good news at least....

take care..

lyn

Went past the Ben Johnson earlier today - still boarded up - but there is a sign on the door saying that the Turks is re-open as a student venue and Cafe. Had many a pint in both back in the early 1980's and also in the General Woolfe ( long since demolished ) and the Sack of Spuds - happy days and memories of being an apprentice in Aston Cross Telephone Exchange. Most of the old exchange is now student accomodation for the Uni.

Ian.

thanks for the update ian..so the turks is no longer a pub then....the sack o spuds is still open i beleive....

lyn

Hello my name is Danny. I am the new leaseholder of the Turks Head. Its nice reading the threads with peoples fond memory of the pub in its past. I can confirm the Turks Head has now re-opened, we are having the official opening night next Friday 26th November. It would be nice if you could pop along if passing through. Both the upstairs bar and the downstairs function room will be open throughout the day.
The will also be a free buffet etc. The pub is still a pub, and is focussed at all markets, its just the case it is around student accomodation at present, so that is currently the night time market for us but all are welcome

Thanks for letting us know, it is nice to know its still a pub, we celebrated our 25th Anniversary there 4 years ago and had a very good night.

Back