• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Thor Hammer, Any knowledge of the family?

Sparkhill Boy

master brummie
I am told that some past relatives of mine invented 'The Thor hammer'. It is a hammer made of hide that did not damage the item being beaten or struck.
I understand that it was developed in Birmingham by the Stephens family and the business still exists.
Would anyone know where this could be and any contact details.
Thanks, Sparkhill Boy.

I seem to remember these type of hammer being used on the shop floor of the car makers and panel beaters. Dek

Thank you Lloyd. Is the comapny called the Birmingham Belting Company, and are there any contact details of the family Stephens?

Thanks.

Its still called Thor Hammer but I recall collecting belting in the 70's from Stephens Belting in the same area as Thor is now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Lloyd. Is the comapny called the Birmingham Belting Company, and are there any contact details of the family Stephens?

Thanks.
Used to be, it's the Thor Hammer Co now. You'll have to ask them if they've got any archive about the Stephens family.

If it Doesn't Work, Belt it with a Thor Hammer!

I'm a latecomer to this thread, but surely the Birmingham Belting Company is a wonderfully appropriate name for a firm that invented a new kind of hammer! ;)

Re: If it Doesn't Work, Belt it with a Thor Hammer!

When i worked at Lucas i went many times to Stephens belting to have a belt made to my size the material was plastic sandwiched between grey coloured leather and its size was shortened by a percentage so it stretched over the pulleys of the machine it was to be used on, inserts of leather and copper could be bought to bring your Thor hammer back to near new condition. Len.

Last edited:
Re: If it Doesn't Work, Belt it with a Thor Hammer!

I started this thread hoping to find a branch of my family that had disappeared. Your help guided me to them as they still own the factory and run their business from there. I tried by phone to contact any of the Stephens that were there but sadly they chose not to respond for what ever reason. Should I drop it, try again or turn up at the door? Advise please.

Graham.

Back