• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Rise of the Slogging Gangs and what made children such as the Notorious Giblin brothers become such violent men in Aston & Birmingham (1850-1920)

ASY

master brummie
Hello to all

I’ve become completely immersed and fascinated by the story of the Giblin brothers, who became notorious for their violence and involvement in 'slogging gangs' (pre-Peaky Blinders era).

I wanted to understand what drove these young boys to engage in so much criminality. There are seven different Giblin families all coming from Ireland in the 1850s and all settled in or around Livery Street. After a few months research and writing the blog contains articles on:

Youth gangs,
The Psychological Impact of Poverty and Neglect
The Catholic-Protestant Divide and the 'Murphy Riots of 1867'
Trade Clubs
Bare Knuckle fights & Alf Greenfield (really enjoyed researching this gentleman)
Punishment & Magistrates, Flogging of Children & Hard Labour
Slogging Gangs and Stone Throwing

This blog is quite long—about a 40-minute read—and is just part one.

If anybody would like a read the link is here and

I hope you enjoy the read, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!"

Cheers

Andy

Attachments

• Colour Mug Shot 1875-1877 Thomas Giblin.jpg
    Colour Mug Shot 1875-1877 Thomas Giblin.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 4
  • Alf Greenfield Colour.jpg
    Alf Greenfield Colour.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 4
Hello to all

I’ve become completely immersed and fascinated by the story of the Giblin brothers, who became notorious for their violence and involvement in 'slogging gangs' (pre-Peaky Blinders era).

I wanted to understand what drove these young boys to engage in so much criminality. There are seven different Giblin families all coming from Ireland in the 1850s and all settled in or around Livery Street. After a few months research and writing the blog contains articles on:

Youth gangs,
The Psychological Impact of Poverty and Neglect
The Catholic-Protestant Divide and the 'Murphy Riots of 1867'
Trade Clubs
Bare Knuckle fights & Alf Greenfield (really enjoyed researching this gentleman)
Punishment & Magistrates, Flogging of Children & Hard Labour
Slogging Gangs and Stone Throwing

This blog is quite long—about a 40-minute read—and is just part one.

If anybody would like a read the link is here and

I hope you enjoy the read, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!"

Cheers

Andy
Sounds an interesting family. I can't seem to see the link though.

Back