• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Queens Arms Newhall Street Jewellery Quarter

PaulBarr

I'm trying to research The Queens Arms on Newhall Street in The Jewellery Quarter. We're the present owners and want to make the history of the building accessible on our website and hopefully with photographs or maps to display in the pub. The website www.queensarmsbar.co.uk/aboutus.html starts it off but as you will see we have very limited information up til now. It's a fabulously ornate building and it would be tremendous to know more about it.
We'd be grateful for any help and we would credit any sources (may even buy you a pint!). History and photos would be great.
Thanks - Paul.

Dear Paul – Do you have any census print outs for the Queens Arms, if not I will print them off and email them to you in the next few days. I would send them in with my son, Steve (Guinness) Diageo, but he is on paternity leave at the mo. I remember going for an after work drink in your pub during the 60s/70s when I worked in Church Street, a lovely pub with great ambience. Bewdley

Dear Paul – Do you have any census print outs for the Queens Arms, if not I will print them off and email them to you in the next few days. I would send them in with my son, Steve (Guinness) Diageo, but he is on paternity leave at the mo. I remember going for an after work drink in your pub during the 60s/70s when I worked in Church Street, a lovely pub with great ambience. Bewdley

Thanks fore the reply. I don't have the census info so if you do have that it would be a great start, thanks.

According to McKenna, The Queens Arms was opened in 1820 on a 100 year lease from the Colmore estate. M & B later took it over, and, in 1901, it was completely rebuilt/remodelled by the architect Joseph Wood. When opening hours were very restricted it had all day opening when the Science museum, which was then close, had a “steam day”, with working steam engines.
If you are interested in landlords, listed in directories (remembering that the date is publication date and not survey date , there being a gap between the two of up to 1 year on more modern directories, but possibly longer in some early directories). Some information also came from electoral rolls,
Up until 1915 the landlord is described as a beer retailer in Kellys, with no pub name. this would suggest that the pub had a beerhouse licence only, In 1921 and after the pub was named and would have held a full licence then, Up to 1879 the pub was at no 50 Newhall St, but after that the street was lengthened and renumbered , and it was then known as no 150
1841 Elizabeth Lawley
1845-82 William Cox
1883 Edward Jones
1884-1897 William Collyer. He also ran the Turks Head 176 Newhall St in 1880-97. In 1890 he was also a cab proprietor next door at no 146.
1899-1900 George Hazledene
1903-1904 William Palmer
1905 John Miller
1908-1913 Francis William Robbins
1915 Albert Addison
1920-1921 Thomas Sabin Gardner
1925-1927 Herbert George Essex
1932-1936 Frank Guy Williams
1937-1944 Clement John Mosson
1946-1956 Arthur William Ince
Later Kellys do not list landlords

Apparently there's been a fire at this pub. The fire is reported as accidental, from a log fire (edit). Extinguished quickly.

Last edited:
Back