• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The LONDON STORES

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
HI THERE YOU PUB CRAWLERS
Does Any-body recall the Pub The London Stores , Which Was Situated
At The Very TOP Of Heath Street Winson Green And At The Junction Of
Windmill Lane , Well When I Was A Little Whipper Snapper Thats Where I Had My First Pint Of Mild And Got Stoned Out Of My Brains On One Pint Alone
Then IStarted To Use The Old Wind mill On Dudley Rd
Old Stan Kirby Use Run The Place Then He Knew We Was Under Age But He Turned A Blind Eye , Stan Was A Brilliant Guy And Full Of Character ,
Best Wishes ToOne And All ASTONIAN ,;;;

Going back a few years Astonian my sons mate from junior school moved to the Old Windmill pub Dudly Road when his parents took it on. I have a photo of him but can't remember his name. That would be about 32 years ago. They lived by Sundridge road before they moved. Jean.

There is a pub near the Windmill Lane / Cranford Street ( which is the name of the Smethwick end of Heath Street) called the London Apprentice. It's been there as long as I know, but is post-war as is all building in that area. Possibly it replaced an earlier pub with the same (or similar) name?

The road around Sixways Smethwick have changed at least twice since the turn of the century, but there was a Victoria Hotel in High park road, on the south side at the junction with grove lane. this would be approximately where the london apprentice is now. Not much similarity in name though
mike

HI LLOYED
Thanks For Your Reply ,I Was Going To Mention That There Was A Name Changed And It Was Previously The London Stores And I Should Have Mentioned In My Previous Thread It Had Changed To The London Apprentice That I Do Kow For A Fact ,
It Can Be Checked Out On Records And It Was In The Early Years Right Through Until Until The Early Sixties When I Las Used It ,And It Was A Very Small Run Down Dirty Pub In The Fiftyies ,But I Do No It Was Called The London Stores And At Some time I Can Only Presume It Was Rebuilt When They First Dezign One Of The Ring Roads
Trust Me And Be Sure AS God Made Apples It Was The London Stores
I Know From REALALITY Not FromReference Books
Have A Nice Day Best Wishes ASTONIAN ,;;

Back