• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Horsefair

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Below is a cutting from the evening mail in 1970 of memories of the old horsefair
Mike

Horsefair_memories__rec_27_2_70.jpg

HI mike
yes i recall that story of memories being published and i can recll the old horse fair
long before the mexicana caf was on the scene and i remembe mr tripas cakes shop
he moved and went up ladypool rd my dear old dutchess worked for him at the ladypool shop
when we were first courting ,and st catherines and the big house
as previous threads i have said i worked for mr divis the builder whom yard was down wrentham st just along from st lukes rd he got a contract to do housing repairs in and around right up to camp hill
st lukes rd including princess rd and alexander and varna and the belgrave rd
and when harry cresswell and is brother had the litle car sales
i have good memorys ofhe old horse fair and when we uded to trek up to the old grey hound entry for a pint of the true rough cide a i penny a pint
i am sure there is other members can recll there memories especialy those from balsal heath
best wishes Astonian ;;

Here is a photo from a facebook page devoted tom identifying the site on unknown photos, identified correctly as 33a Horsefair, corner of Thorpe St. England's are listed in Kellys from 1904 till 1933 editions. Not in 1903 or 1936 editions

Englands 33a horse fair . corner thorpe stA.jpg

When researching my family history, I was able to confirm a family rumour that there was "something to do with horses" in the line.
My GGGF was a horse dealer in Birmingham. George Ellis, 30 Longmore St.

I found a couple of pictures on line, of the horsefair in 1911.

It is strange to think that the odds are good that my GGGF was probably there on the day.

Steve.

Hi. Apparently this was the first part of a pub sign from a pub on Horse Fair. I know there was a White Lion but I can only find fairly recent references to it and wondered if anyone had come across any references to pubs on Horse Fair that start with The!IMG_2759.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting to read. My Mum & Dad used to tell me to "Go and play in the 'orse road." I wonder if this was where they meant ?

Back