• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Grapes, Heneage Street, Aston

pooley35

proper brummie kid
Hi
My great grandfather, Henry Bates, was the landlord of The Grapes, Heneage Street, Aston, where he died in 1917. Does anyone have a picture of The Grapes or any history of this pub.

My best friend at school lived in Heneage St it was in Duddeston although it did come under Aston Manor but I can not recall a pub called The Grapes.It may have disappeared by my era the 50s 60s. Dek

The Grapes Heneage St according to Kelly's Directory 1913 was at 178-179 Heneage St which would have been on or near the north corner of Willis St. The Manager in 1913 was H Bates. I have no doubt that in 1913 Heneage St might and Nechells might well have been part of Aston.

Phil

It was on the corner, as you can see on the 1913 map. Below is also a picture, presumably from the forum, showing people outside the Grapes . The pub seems to have gone between 1956 and 1962, and your grandfather went to the pub between the 1912 & 1913 Kellys directories. There has been a pub on the site since sometime between 1845 & 1848, when James Archer was the landlord, but I do not know if it was called the Grapes at that time
Mike

242BGrapes2BHeneage2BSt.jpg

MAP_C_1913_grapes_pub.jpg

Hey Mike

Great photo, I only lived around the corner in Francis St and I have no memory of the Grapes at all. Which doesn't mean a thing as I was only a youngster then just a little more than an ankle biter. It had probably gone by the time I started to take note of pubs.

Phil

Phil I know exactly how you feel my mate only live 50 yds. from Willis St up towards Henry St if that pub was still there in the middle to late 50s I must have passed it a couple of 100 times or more. Dek

Back