• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Golden Cup Livery Street

Tib

Born in Brum
I have an ancestor John McHale, who in the 1881 census was listed as living at the The Golden Cup which would be around 70 Livery St in Hockley. He and his wife Bridget were the Licensed Victuallers. Does anyone have any recollection or details about this pub?

It was an old pub even by 1881. It’s mentioned in this newspaper clip of 1814. I think the Sixty Pounds Society might have been a benefit society to help less fortunate people and was still going in the 1830s. Viv

91C4CEF7-AE90-4694-8744-75CC227E8FD2.jpegSource: British Newspaper Archive

Last edited:
Wow, this is amazing, thankyou so much. Turns out there are other publicans in the family history too. William Crisp and his wife Eliza were in charge of the Three Tuns in Erdington 10 Brick Kiln Lane but that address doesn't seem to exist in that location anymore. 1871-1882.

hi tib you maybe interested in the below thread as it does mention the crisp family..make sure you read from post 1 so that you do not miss any info that has been posted...click on the link below

lyn

So your ancestor John McHale was landlord until no later than c1883. See the first Newspaper extract below about the ‘drunken’ landlord, Chas Thomas Johnson in 1883 !

A few other snippets of general info attached too. Viv.

EC966F5E-1A99-4159-8420-D0B762ED3294.jpeg
This snippet takes the pub date back to at least 1803
B4F7F689-C051-480D-A3AF-B4A05578D299.jpeg

A bit of 1860s local colour !
5EF000BC-ADD8-48B2-9829-D13010ED045A.jpeg

For interest, in 1894 the landlord, W Goodman, was moving on to Stoney Lane. Maybe this was due to redevelopment of Livery Street. (Perhaps demolition of the pub?)

C13F4EF6-92D5-4964-92A2-FB345D217F5F.jpeg
Source: All extracts from British Newspaper Archive

• Appreciate
Reactions: Tib
The 1878 Kellys (which probably refers tom 1877, lists John Halliday as the licensee, whom also was the marine shop dealer (sort of rag & boneman/scrap dealer) next door at no 71. In 1879 it is Frederick John Watkins. In 1880 edition your ancestor (though named as Martin John McHall) is listed. In 1882 edition it is William Scally, in 1883 James Michael Reemey, but in 1884 , 1888 and 1890 it is John Halliday again. a report in the papers also states that John Hallioday was a licensee of the C upin september 1870. I wondered if John Halliday was the owner of the pub . who sometimes licensed it out to others for a period

Mike the Golden Cup was at 70 Livery Street. Do you know if that would have been at the junction with Mary Ann Street ? Viv

I am getting the impression that Martin John McHale was probably quite a character. For starters he was from Co. Mayo. The first reference I can find is him marrying in Stone, Staffs. He then is the licensee at the Hole in the Wall, 124 High St Stourbridge and he was probably there quite a while before fetching up in B'ham at the Golden Cup and then variously described as a debt collector and a traveller. Most of the time he goes by the name John but in the later years he reverts to Martin.

Viv
It was between Mary ann st and water st., I think it was on the corner of Water st as shown in red on the map, but cannot be absolutely certain it was the place next to it. But think that that is very unlikely

map c1889 livery st between water st and mary ann st showing probable golden cup at no 70.jpg

Gracious me you have a lot of info at your fingertips! Thankyou!

hi tib glad you are impressed...have to say this forum differs from many other social media sites in that it is first and foremost dedicated to the history of birmingham and learning about it...we have some wonderful members who are only too happy to assist our members especially when they hit brick walls...enjoy the forum and use the search box if you are looking for info about different things as you never know what you may find..

lyn

Back