• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Elms, Handsworth

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
William Murdoch purchased this house for his son also, William, a home apparently adjoining the Council House. The Elms was demolished over 100 years ago. I wondered if the CB stone in the wall on Soho Road marking the boundary of rhe gardens of The Elms and Thornhill Cottage next door survived ? I somehow doubt it. Sadly I can't see any evidence of the marker but maybe it was moved somewhere else.

Screenshot_20230716_192846_Chrome.jpg

Source: British Newspaper Archive

Thanks MWS. So the two buildings were set quite far back from Soho Road and the gardens in front of them look quite substantial. Looking at the present day view, the chances of the boundary marker being preserved looks very sllim. There is now a short block of modern retail premises at that point joined by a 1914 parade of shops, so 2 years after the demolition of the Elms, the parade of retail shops was built over the garden spaces fronting Soho Road. Viv.

Screenshot_20231025_090324_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Using the map in post #2 and the georeferencing maps of Scotland I'd put the boundary stone around where te man is walking by in the aqua suit. See my aqua dot.
Viv

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025_115224_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20231025_115224_Maps.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231025_115345_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231025_115345_Samsung Internet.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 6
Back