• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Demolition of the Former Midland Red Bus Garage Southgate St Lecester

horsencart

master brummie
I have been told that work will soon trat on the Demoltion of the former Midland Red Bus Garage Southgate St Lecester, I did hear a rumour that the frontage will be kept how true it is I do not know yet another link with the Midland Red to be lost,

There seems to be an awful lot of former bus depots being demolished in recent times leaving nothing but a photographic record and memories as another link with the past is gone.

Work has now started to demolish the former bus garage the roof over the bus entrance has now gone, the part of the garage that I call the new extention is due to be demolished, over the next two weeks, work will then start on the the old section of the garage, they are going to save the frontage of the old garage it contains the word "Midland" in stone over what was the bus exit to the garage, in about five? or so weeks the former bus garage wiil no longer exsits, only it the memorys and a few photos,

The part that I found odd (apart from standing under a roof that was only half there and a machine that was crunching steel work like it was paper) is that they are knocking two types of "dust" out of one half of the garage and yet the other half has cars parked in it, and when the one half has been knocked down the car park will move into the demolished part of the the former bus garage but i did get a few photos so its all right then (no)

There seems to be an awful lot of former bus depots being demolished in recent times leaving nothing but a photographic record and memories as another link with the past is gone.

I have uploaded footage of what the garage looked like in the early 1980,s https://www.youtube.com/user/Horsencart it only last a few seconds as the rest of the film shows the demolition of the former Midland Red and Arriva garage half of the garage has now gone and the rest will be gone in about two or three weeks the land will be used as a car park and then sometime in the future a hotel will be built I understand that they will be digging in the area of where the pits were as that is where they found a Roman pavement when they built the garage in 1927

I have been told that work will soon trat on the Demoltion of the former Midland Red Bus Garage Southgate St Lecester, I did hear a rumour that the frontage will be kept how true it is I do not know yet another link with the Midland Red to be lost,

If you have a copy of the Midland Red book V2 on page 157 a photo of a wall of Southgates St that is one big advert for Midland Red, today I saw a section of the same wall with an advert for Midland Red https://www.flickr.com/photos/transport_photos/5857484857/in/photostream sadly not the same advert but one that has not seen the light of day for many a year, when I first saw the advert my thoughts were who can we get to strip the paint of so that we can see the rest of the advert, now for the bad news

Within a couple of hours of me seeing the advert that wall was stripped of its metal clading and as I left (because of an ongoing health problem) they were talking about the safest way to knock the wall down, so that advert has now gone and I would think that the wall and its building has by now gone as well

The end for the garage has now come today I watched as the roof (near to the bus exit) was knocked? down to the floor there will be the frontage with the" Midland" left and a portion of the side wall but the rest had gorn, a sad end you can now and for some time to come park on the former bus garage, the next phase is to find the tessellated Roman pavement that was found some time in the early 1920,s when the were building the garage, when this has been done I believe that there is to be a hotel to be built on the site,

Back