• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

the avenue..acocks green

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i think this is a charming pic...how nice it must have been to be able go fishing at the bottom of your garden....date 1910

astoness

pic courtesy of carl chinn birm lives.

Yes i think so to Astoness ...... i knew that part of Acock Green
a lot in the early 1970s and i think them gardens in the picture
backed onto the grand union canal .
ragga..

Lyn

There are only about six or eight houses on The Avenue that could be these houses. The ones that run from Lincoln Rd Bridge to Dagnall Rd. They are still standing today.

Phil

so phil if the houses are still there and lived in one can still go fishing...how good is that..

cheers

lyn.....

Lyn

I don't think its quite as open as that now. to tell the truth I haven't been over that bridge in ages. The next time I am in the locality I'll make a detour and see if I can get a snap or two. I have heard that there are fish in the canal again now though.

Phil

phil..i was going to put a visit to there on me list of things to do but i think i will leave it up to you.

look forward to seeing you pics....

lyn

Lyn

I had to pick the wife up from my sons house in Hall Green today, so I made a little detour through Acocks Green. I took these couple of snaps of the canal near Lincoln Rd bridge.

One of a couple of fishermen, so there must be fish in there, or they may have been just dangling their worms for practice.

The other is where I approximate the original was taken. The houses look much further away though, but I suppose that could be something to do with when the new banks were added to the canal.

Phil

Attachments

• Lincoln Rd Canal 1 .jpg
    Lincoln Rd Canal 1 .jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Lincoln Rd Canal 2 .jpg
    Lincoln Rd Canal 2 .jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4
hi phil..thanks for taking that detour..the pics are great...isnt it fasinating that nearly 100 years on and folk are still fishing there...nice to see some things dont change....

lyn

Back