• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Abbey Infants School Erdington

perry commoner

master brummie
The secondary school was demolished many years ago but the primary school continues to thrive. There are now houses where the secondary school stood.

Sorry Pedrocut, we are referring to teachers at Abbey Secondary Modern not Primary. I do recall the Primary teaching block being built opposite the Senior Boys playground circa 1953-54.

IMG_1875.jpg IMG_1876.jpg

Sorry Pedrocut, we are referring to teachers at Abbey Secondary Modern not Primary. I do recall the Primary teaching block being built opposite the Senior Boys playground circa 1953-54.

If the discussion strictly applies to the Senior section of the Catholic schools, and not Primary school or the Benedictine Abbey itself, then this should be reflected in the title of the Thread.

The Abbey Primary school was erected in 1910. The present website is here...

https://www.abbeyrc.bham.sch.uk/introduction.htm

I have attached a newspaper description of the laying of the Foundation Stone which may be of interest to some. The moderators can move it to a separate thread if they so wish.

I witnessed such cruelty at that school and received the cane from a sadistic nun starting at age 4 years. It was just after the war and money was tight, I remember a school party that children could attend if they paid threepence. There were jelly and cakes and the poor children who were often half starved stood watching the fortunate kids enjoying the food. I saw a male teacher namely Mr Corrigan beat a boy on the back of his legs so hard he drew blood. The school dinners were vile and the nuns force fed some of the kids who didn't clear their plates. When I was 10 years old Miss Kilmartin thumped me hard about 5 times on the top of my head, I saw stars. Wicked people and a terrible place in those days.

I witnessed such cruelty at that school and received the cane from a sadistic nun starting at age 4 years. It was just after the war and money was tight, I remember a school party that children could attend if they paid threepence. There were jelly and cakes and the poor children who were often half starved stood watching the fortunate kids enjoying the food. I saw a male teacher namely Mr Corrigan beat a boy on the back of his legs so hard he drew blood. The school dinners were vile and the nuns force fed some of the kids who didn't clear their plates. When I was 10 years old Miss Kilmartin thumped me hard about 5 times on the top of my head, I saw stars. Wicked people and a terrible place in those days.
what a horrible start to a childs school years and sadly one we read about far too often...there can be no excuses for the bad treatment no matter how long ago it was and thank goodness that things have moved on for the better

lyn

Back