• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Templefield Road Stores

oldmangonewest

proper brummie kid
Hello

Does anyone have any pre-war (either War!) photos of houses in Templefield Street, B9? I have this photograph below of my great grandfather’s store –numbered 22½ Templefield Street, where he is recorded on the 1911 Census. From the 1901 Census, he was living at 17 to 18 Templefield Street (is this an unusual numbering system or would he really have owned or leased two house?). His name on the plaque is Philip Nutting and his store appears to be what we used to call an outdoor and I am wondering was it associated with a public house in the Street?

Would it be possible to identify the property numbers from an old map even? Many thanks for looking.

Templefield_Stores.jpg

PS. apologies for the earlier posting. On this posting, I can't seem to upload the image to show here but I've checked the link and the photo appears in a new window. Please let me know if you can't see it.

In the 1904 directory there are the following entry's for Templefield St

17 & 18 Nutting Philip Coopr

22and a half Summers Solomon beer retailer,

in the 1908 directory is almost the same with one difference
22 and a half Wall wilson Edwin beer retailer

in the 1912 directory there are

17 Nutting Philip coal dealer,
22 and a half Duley George beer retlr

in the 1916 directory there are

17 Nutting Philip, cooper,

22 and a half Cade Frank, wardrobe dealer,

in the 1917 directory there are

17 Nutting Brother coopers,

as above for 22 and a half

in the 1920 directory there are

17 Nutting Brothers packing case makers,

no 22 and a half

in the 1921 directory there are three nuttings

[h=2]The 1900 Kellys lists Mrs E Philpot, dairy at 17 & 18. there is no Phillip Nutting listed in the 1900 Kellys anywhere. In 1910 it is Wilson Edwin Wall at 22½. Again Phillip is not listed.In the 1912 electoral roll he is listed as at 17 & 18 Templefield St In 1913 & 1915 Phillip Nutting is a cooper at 17 Templefield St. 22½ not listed but no 22 is Alfred Taylor, coal dealer.In 1920 the electoral roll lists Ernest George & Francis Nutting at 17/18 Have looked maps and concluded the most likely place for 22½ and 17/18. no 22½ is listed on the electoral roll (1920) as immediately before Stevenson place, which is the terrace to the north of the red building. I would therefore consider that this red building was no 22½. The numbering of the street was down the right hand side from Garrison Lane at the top and then up the left hand side. It is noted that no 17 was for a time a coal dealers, and this, together with the buildings, makes me consider that no 17 was probably the blue building marked, and no 18 the yard to the south of it. This fits requirements of a coal dealer and the known number of buildings on either side of the street.Mike
mapc1905templefieldstshowingprobable22and17-18.jpg

[/h]

Sorry - only just got back onto the forum! Many thanks for the information Horsencart and Mike - I can see you've really worked hard on this for me. It all suggests that Philip leased the property. Really hope that someone has other photos to post of the street.
I was out and about last week taking photos of the street and other places around Small Heath. I'll be putting a few up on the forum - but at the moment they are big files - I seem to recall reading that you need to reduce the image sizes for upload onto Coppermine? Meantime, thanks once again.

PS - probably the wrong place to post here but a big well done to Warren and everyone who was involved with the forum transfer!

I was born and lived in Templefield St from 1933-1959 my Mother had a shop at No 32,
I don't ever remember No 22 as a shop.nice to see a picture of Templefield St.

Round about 1961 or 62 I can remember playing around in an empty building just behind where the blue mark is on the map. It had been a club of some sort I think.

Cant remember there being a shop there, but I seem to rememeber there were gates.

My great grandfather died in 1915, so it's probable that the Stores "disappeared" soon after.
Here are 4 photos of todays Templefield St - taken last week! Hope this works!

15_Templefield_St_from_Cattell_Rd-113kb.jpg

16_Templefield_St_from_Cattell_Rd-105kb.jpg

17_Templefield_St_with_Broseley_Brook_Close_on_right-112kb.jpg

18_Templefield_St_from_Garrison_Lane-82kb.jpg

My current pictures below may help to identify the club location? but presently they don't seem to work from Coppermine and I can't upload them from my computer. Think I may have to wait until my account allows me to upload.

From my understanding of what mikejee says, my great-grandfather's stores at number 22 and a half was probably the property marked in red and so was on the other side of the road from the club. Wonder what sort of club it was and interesting, Brummie Nick that your mother had a shop at number 32, which must have been opposite the site of the club also - do you know whether there were any other shops in the road? Thanks.

that your mother had a shop at number 32, which must have been opposite the site of the club also - do you know whether there were any other shops in the road? Thanks.

It was on the opposite side but lower down, I was talking to my older sister today about your inquiry, and she remembers 22 being a shop, I do remember another shop just up from the club,
The club was a one story wooden building, I suppose it was a social club, although I do remember they used to have a few fights on a Saturday night:excitement:

No, its further down on the same side, its about in line with the letters 'FI' in Templefield St on the map.

Round about where the F and the I are, there were some newer semi detached houses with bay windows, and a drive or passage at the side of the end one. I remember that well, cos I had a serious run in with the woman who lived in the end one when I was a kid ( best leave it there) The club, or at least what I tought was the club was nearer to Cattell Rd.
Its one of those things that stuck in my mind, always imagined it being a drinking club full of crooks, with Jags parked outside, like something out of an old David Lean film.

In the early 70s/late 60s there was a firm in the yard behind the red mark owned by a bloke called Tommy iirc, that did case hardening using a cyanide salt furnace.

It was on the opposite side but lower down, I was talking to my older sister today about your inquiry, and she remembers 22 being a shop, I do remember another shop just up from the club,
The club was a one story wooden building, I suppose it was a social club, although I do remember they used to have a few fights on a Saturday night:excitement:
Many thanks. A building like that sounds very much like a social club doesn't it. I am not surprised to hear about the fights - nothing changes does it? :disillusionment:I am surprised to learn though that there were a number of shops in the road at all - apart from number 22 - and of course that was a very long time ago now!

Round about where the F and the I are, there were some newer semi detached houses with bay windows, and a drive or passage at the side of the end one. I remember that well, cos I had a serious run in with the woman who lived in the end one when I was a kid ( best leave it there) The club, or at least what I tought was the club was nearer to Cattell Rd.
Its one of those things that stuck in my mind, always imagined it being a drinking club full of crooks, with Jags parked outside, like something out of an old David Lean film.

In the early 70s/late 60s there was a firm in the yard behind the red mark owned by a bloke called Tommy iirc, that did case hardening using a cyanide salt furnace.

The new houses you refer to were built on a bomb site that takes up the area on the map of the word street, our shop was opposite the last house were the 'S' is, as I say the club was further up.
I remember the 'Harding' site you mention

My Nan lived at 20 Templefield Street, but it would have been the mid to late 60's. I remember some things about it even though I was only young. I know there was a big shared common area not backyards, and outside toilets. Mrs Macnamara was her neighbour with sons Johnny and Jimmy and another little brother. Would love to see the pictures if you can get them up. Sorry couldn't be of any help with your enquiries.

Hi Ashley.Thank you for posting - don't worry that you can't help - thanks for your interest! The time I was talking about is getting on for 100 years ago when my great grandad lived there! My original photo of Templefield Stores should be available for you to see at my first post in this thread - let me know if you can't see it. The other photos I put up were taken earlier this year but I'm afraid they show only later development, which I'm sure wasn't there in the 1960s. I think I am right is saying that your Nan's house would have been close to the junction with Cattell Rd? I did take a couple from that direction. Here are the photos I took:

16_Templefield_St_from_Cattell_Rd.JPG15_Templefield_St_from_Cattell_Rd.JPG17_Templefield_St_with_Broseley_Brook_Close_on_right.JPG18_Templefield_St_from_Garrison_Lane.JPG
Best regards.

My grandmother lived at number 15 from before 1911 until she weas rehoused which was either late 60's or sometime in the 70's I expect......all I came remember of the house that it was big, it had two front rooms and two back rooms with a hall way between them leading to the kitchen and garden, the garden wasn't very big and I can recall it over looking gardens from houses I would say looking at the maps on Cattell Road......

My grandmother lived at number 15 from before 1911 until she weas rehoused which was either late 60's or sometime in the 70's I expect......all I came remember of the house that it was big, it had two front rooms and two back rooms with a hall way between them leading to the kitchen and garden, the garden wasn't very big and I can recall it over looking gardens from houses I would say looking at the maps on Cattell Road......
I guess your grandmother would have known my great grandfather (Philip Nutting) then - he lived there until his death in 1915 (I am led to believe in very sad circumstances). My great grandmother and children eventually left to live in the Black Country but I don't know when they left Templefield Rd - she died in the 1940's. Good to have a "feel" for the style of houses that used to be there. Many thanks Aston Lad.

Nick.....Causer, and yes you do know them, we have spoken before when I was a member of this forum under a different user name......

Oldmangonewest....I would say that she did, she was 15 in 1911......

Thanks a lot for posting the pictures, you're right the houses were not like that at all, so it's hard to visualize. I think she did live close to Cattell Rd though. Atleast the street is still there, not like the next house she moved to which was a maisonette on Miles Street which now exists only in my memory, there's a big roundabout there now.

Nick.....Causer, and yes you do know them, we have spoken before when I was a member of this forum under a different user name......

Oldmangonewest....I would say that she did, she was 15 in 1911......

Hello aston lad. According to records, my great grandfather lived at 17 and 18 Templefield St (around 1901). Soon after, in 1904, he'd moved to 22 and a half - which was the Stores (see my original posted picture). Pity he wasn't on the picture but the lady is my great grandmother, Ellen and her daughter - also Ellen, who might have been one of your grandmother's close friends! It's a pity there aren't any other photos of the street/area around that time. Ah well...oh for a time machine! Regards. oldmangonewest

Thanks a lot for posting the pictures, you're right the houses were not like that at all, so it's hard to visualize. I think she did live close to Cattell Rd though. Atleast the street is still there, not like the next house she moved to which was a maisonette on Miles Street which now exists only in my memory, there's a big roundabout there now.
You're most welcome Ashley...let's hope that someone out there has some photos of Miles Street! Regards. oldmangonewest

I have original documents relating to 17 A templefield street Birmingham which was operated s a social club by my father
from 1926 His name was les mallabond

Hi Graham. I'd heard that the property was subsequently used as a club but well after my grandfather's death in 1915. If you have any photos, that would be good. Do you know when it was demolished?

Hi Graham. I'd heard that the property was subsequently used as a club but well after my grandfather's death in 1915. If you have any photos, that would be good. Do you know when it was demolished?
Thanks for your reply,

I was reffering not to the stores, but to the templefield street social club, which was run by my father from 1926-1945 (roughly). The club had many members, although i expect that many of them have passed away by now, one member who i remember very well as a kid was Dave Smith, who lived in Tilton Road. His daughter was a condructress on the coverty road trolley buses. I have various documents relating to the club but I don't think i can find any photographs. I beleive the membership used to be in excess of 200 and i can remember the childrens' christmas party in which all th children were given a little present including am apple and an orange. The address of the club was 17a Templefield Street, and narrowly , missed a direct hit by a bomb during the war. If you would like to pursue this a little further, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Graham (oldmangonesouth,not west)!

[h=2]The 1900 Kellys lists Mrs E Philpot, dairy at 17 & 18. there is no Phillip Nutting listed in the 1900 Kellys anywhere. In 1910 it is Wilson Edwin Wall at 22½. Again Phillip is not listed.In the 1912 electoral roll he is listed as at 17 & 18 Templefield St In 1913 & 1915 Phillip Nutting is a cooper at 17 Templefield St. 22½ not listed but no 22 is Alfred Taylor, coal dealer.In 1920 the electoral roll lists Ernest George & Francis Nutting at 17/18 Have looked maps and concluded the most likely place for 22½ and 17/18. no 22½ is listed on the electoral roll (1920) as immediately before Stevenson place, which is the terrace to the north of the red building. I would therefore consider that this red building was no 22½. The numbering of the street was down the right hand side from Garrison Lane at the top and then up the left hand side. It is noted that no 17 was for a time a coal dealers, and this, together with the buildings, makes me consider that no 17 was probably the blue building marked, and no 18 the yard to the south of it. This fits requirements of a coal dealer and the known number of buildings on either side of the street.Mike
mapc1905templefieldstshowingprobable22and17-18.jpg

[/h]
The building on the corner of Cattell Road and Templefield Street was my great uncles, Samuel Nicols, he was the publican. Do you have details of him in Kelly's Directory? Many thanks, Helen.
Samuel Nichols Pub.jpg

Back