• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

STRINGER family in Warwickshire

fudge

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone, has anyone done any research on the STRINGER family in Birmingham? My g-grandparents were Lavinia (nee BESWICK or TURNER) and Thomas STRINGER, both born approx. 1861 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. Lavinia died in 1914 and Thomas died in February 1923. The names of some of their children were John, Annie Maria, Florence, Tom, Bertrand, Lavinia, Doris.

thanks

I have no info on the namse you listed.

My Stringer connection started when Hannah Stringer from Sutton Coldfield born in 1820 married Samuel Richard Cooper. A witness on their wedding certificate was a Joseph Stringer

The Cooper family all ended up in Birmingham.

Her parents were Thomas and Elizabeth( Price).

The other children were Mary, Eliza, Sarah, Carolina and Jane.

Perhaps there is a connection somewhere.

Hi, what year did your Hannah Stringer marry Mr. Cooper? I'll see if our Stringers connect. Have you found Hannah Stringer on the 1841 census?

:)

Hannah married Samuel Richard Cooper on Nov 6th 1842 at the Parish Church Sutton Coldfield.

I have not sought info on her before this from any census.

However, I have copies of her parent's marriage banns and her christening form church registers.

Hi Ellie, It's possible there is a connection. Do you know what occupation Thomas Stringer had? It should say on the marriage certificate? I put in a request on this forum to look up John Stringer in the 1841 census, and someone got back to me within the hour. If you don't have access to any of the census information, that's another way to get a bit more information on your family. People are very helpful on this forum.:)

I'm waiting on some certficates to find out the name of John Stringer's father. There's a good chance his parents were Thomas and Elizabeth, with a younger sibling named Joseph. However, this Joseph would have only been 10 years old when your Hannah Stringer was married, so I'm not sure. I'm sure they were related somehow.:)

My resords show that Hannah's father was Thomas and her mother was Elizabeth Price. This is confirmed on the baptism records from the local parish (Sutton Coldfield)

But( there is always a but), on the copy I have of Samuel and Hannah Cooper(Stringer) wedding certificate it says her father was Joseph and he was a farmer.

This does need to be clarified. You would expect that the father's anme on the certificate would be correct.

By chance, while researching my family today, I've come across a William Stringer born c1815 lodging with William Browning on the 1871 census, at 89 Heneage (?) St., Duddeston, Nichells, Birmingham - occupation 'Stamper'.
Could this be your family??

hi ellie
can you tell me what stevens you are researching and where are they coming
from as i am very much intrested in the stevens family
best wishes astonian ;;

Astonian my aunt married a Stevens a Harry who lived at 94 Holte road Aston. Bren is helping me with my Lyndon line and he's going great guns very kind of him. I passed the photo on to my family of the Humpheries sisters on their rifle range. Hake care. Jean.

Sorry about the posting I didn't intend going off topic. I went to school with a Christine Stringer who lived in Bevington road. Jean.

Sarah Ann Cooper married Edwin Stevens in 1871 I have just received this marriage certificate and it confirms it is our Sarah. The witnesses to her marriage were her father, Samuel, and a girl we know was the future wife of one of my other ancestors, Richard Cooper.

Edwin's was born in Wordsley about 1849. His father was also Edwin. I had previously been given this info by members on this forum and the certificate has confirmed it.

I was also given other info by forum members about Edwin and his family so I would be inclined to see it as possibly accurate, but needing to be confirmed. I was not going to pursue Edwins line at this stage because of time.
However if we have a connection through marriage and subsequent children it would be great to communicate.

Other details include:

Young Edwin was possibly the child of Edwin and a Mary Ann ???? and was baptised 15 Oct 1848. Mary Ann may have died between 1851 and 1852.

Edwin ( the senior) married an Esther Cooper on Dec 25th 1852 at St Phillips Birmingham. This older Edwin is shown as being born in Kingswinford. There is no proof yet or have I had time to seek it if this Esther was related to my Cooper family.

I have details of them from the 1851, 1861, 1871 census. In the 1861 census there appear to be 2 other children Catherine(10) and Harriet ( 3). The girls are not mentioned in the 1871 census, but young Edwin was still with the parents aged 22.

I have other info of a Harriet Stevens being listed aged 12 as servant girl in Kingswinford. This could have been our Harriet.

Good luck with your search and keep it touch.

Back