• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Street name

Hi Maizie you haven't really said what information you want regarding Green Lane , lived in Charles Road till about 1960 then Grange Road until 1970. there are lots of people on the forum from Small Heath Bernie

Hello Maizie,
There have been quite a lot of Green Lanes in and around Birmingham in the past. I think there are still six within the city:-
1 - Green Lane, Small Heath B9 (a main road and bus route)
2 - Green Lane, Handsworth B21 (runs southwards off Holyhead Road)
3 - Green Lane, Quinton B32 (modern residential road)
4 - Green Lane, Chelmsley Wood B37 (relic of an old country lane leading towards Coleshill, which now crosses two motorways)
5 - Green Lane, Hawkesley B38 (mainly residential road with 2 bus routes)
6 - Green Lane, Newton (Great Barr) B43 (modern residential road)
Old maps show others, for example the present Greenholm Road, off KIngstanding Road.
Can you give us a clue on the date you're interested in.
Peter

Hello Maizie,
There have been quite a lot of Green Lanes in and around Birmingham in the past. I think there are still six within the city:-
1 - Green Lane, Small Heath B9 (a main road and bus route)
2 - Green Lane, Handsworth B21 (runs southwards off Holyhead Road)
3 - Green Lane, Quinton B32 (modern residential road)
4 - Green Lane, Chelmsley Wood B37 (relic of an old country lane leading towards Coleshill, which now crosses two motorways)
5 - Green Lane, Hawkesley B38 (mainly residential road with 2 bus routes)
6 - Green Lane, Newton (Great Barr) B43 (modern residential road)
Old maps show others, for example the present Greenholm Road, off KIngstanding Road.
Can you give us a clue on the date you're interested in.
Peter

Hi Peter,

Your number 4 starts by the Farthings pub in Castle Bromwich, at
its junction with Water Orton Road, and runs for a a fairly short
distance until it becomes Auckland Drive in Smith's Wood. This was
the old 'Peddars way' and the track still exists sandwiched between
West Avenue and Green Lane until you get to Hurst Lane North.
All B36 by the way. You can still access the Smith's Wood to
Coleshill section by taking the subway from Auckland Drive opposite
Nightingale Avenue to the M6 footbridge and crossing this. Only
foot access now, and very overgrown last time I went down there for
the first quarter mile or so, but North Warwicks Council have done
a clearance job on the rest of the lane down to the Coleshill Hall road at Gilson.

I think this is the one you are referring to, but there is another much shorter footpath which runs from Yorkminster Drive B37 and finishes up
at the A446 not far from Coleshill Police Station. I don't think this is a particularly historic one.

Kind regards

Dave

hi i used to live at 126 green lane castle bromwich in the early 60's.we lived next door to a block of shops. oppisite us was a field were we haused to build a fire on guy fawkes night. next to the field was a farm. we used to go down the lane picking blackberries and raspberries straight of the bushes.we used to go in the fields and pick up the potatoes that were left behind after th farm workers had dug them up.i went to bentley road junior school and then park lane for about a year and a half..i was friends with a girl called pamela steele. i wonder were she is no.i would like to hear from anyone who lived in the area an d went to the same schools.i am still trying whats what on this site and i dont if i'm sending thins to the right place or not

hi i used to live at 126 green lane castle bromwich in the early 60's.we lived next door to a block of shops. oppisite us was a field were we haused to build a fire on guy fawkes night. next to the field was a farm. we used to go down the lane picking blackberries and raspberries straight of the bushes.we used to go in the fields and pick up the potatoes that were left behind after th farm workers had dug them up.i went to bentley road junior school and then park lane for about a year and a half..i was friends with a girl called pamela steele. i wonder were she is no.i would like to hear from anyone who lived in the area an d went to the same schools.i am still trying whats what on this site and i dont if i'm sending thins to the right place or not

Hi Maizie,

Green Lane Castle Bromwich is described in my last post #4 .
Coming from the Farthings pub at that time The Vicarage would have been the last building on the left, and on the right the shops and houses extended about 100 yards further. The area opposite your house, and all the land beyond is now covered with Smith's Wood Estate since 1970ish.

Kind regards

Dave

There was a Green Lane in Erdington,or was that Little Green Lane,I know that was my first school,is it still there ?.....Mal.

Back