• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Stoneleigh villas, Church lane. Aston

Sheba2008

master brummie
Hello everyone. I have recently received a copy of our grandmothers birth certificate and it states place of birth as Stoneleigh Villa's Church lane. Aston manor. Can someone explain to me whereabouts church lane was in 1908 and are there any photographs of the buildings please.
Regards Alicia

There does not appear to be a map of the whole of Church shown, so here is one from 1913, from the junction With Lichfield Road to the start of Witton Lane
map 1913 showing Church Lane Aston.jpg

In the 1915 Kelly's Stoneleigh Villas are referred to between Sycamore Road and the junction of Queens and Vicarage Roads. So using Mike's map they must be one of the two lines of houses ringed in red. Most likely the one nearest Sycamore Road as that is listed first. There are no houses listed just a reference to the Villas.

1649331533907.png
Here is the entry - names are not relevant I only include it to show the naming of Stoneleigh Villas
1649331685308.png

A quick glance at the e roll shows 14 houses listed as Stoneleigh Villas. (16 in St Helen's Place the other group of houses)

There does not appear to be a map of the whole of Church shown, so here is one from 1913, from the junction With Lichfield Road to the start of Witton Lane
View attachment 168912
Mikejee. This is amazing. Thank you so much for posting it. Our Smith ancestors lived in both Bright street and Gladstone street. Our grandmother was in Josiah Mason's orphanage from the age of 11 months.

In the 1915 Kelly's Stoneleigh Villas are referred to between Sycamore Road and the junction of Queens and Vicarage Roads. So using Mike's map they must be one of the two lines of houses ringed in red. Most likely the one nearest Sycamore Road as that is listed first. There are no houses listed just a reference to the Villas.

View attachment 168913
Here is the entry - names are not relevant I only include it to show the naming of Stoneleigh Villas
View attachment 168914
Wow, this is fantastic. Is there any reference to a William and Louise Smith please

View attachment 168913
View attachment 168914
Sorry just realised the Smith family wouldn't be on there as Louisa had passed away and the family had moved by 1911.

Having some trouble with the large scale c1889 maps on the NLS website this morning, but here is the image of the two terraces from it. At that time Stoneleigh Villas were called New Terrace, which might indicate that they had only just been built. there seem to be a lot of trees in what was later Stoneleigh Villas , possibly indicating a higher standard terrace

map c1889 showing st Helens plac and New terrace church lane.jpg

Having some trouble with the large scale c1889 maps on the NLS website this morning, but here is the image of the two terraces from it. At that time Stoneleigh Villas were called New Terrace, which might indicate that they had only just been built. there seem to be a lot of trees in what was later Stoneleigh Villas , possibly indicating a higher standard terrace.

PjmBurns Thank you. The Smith family had moved out by 1911. Mr Smith was widowed, he and 3 of his children went to reside with friends.

Yes there are details, but may be sensitive. Do you want me to send info by the private message or place on the Forum ?

Back