• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

stanley road nechells

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..i am on the lookout for any old pics of stanley road nechells...

any help would be much appreciated...

cheers

lyn

Hi Lyn

Stanley Road is at the bottom of the hill on Nechells Park Rd it runs from there to Mount Street. It was the site of Park House, formally known as Nechells Park. After the house was demolished the grounds were converted into a park which still exists today. It has become known locally as The Old Lady's Park. I have a photo of the house if you want it, but sorry no photo of Stanley Street.

Phil

thank you phil..that would be most helpful...the nursing home in stanley road where my sister and bro work are trying to find some old pics of the area to put up for the patients. i have sorted out quite a few old ones of the surrounding sts/rds so this one you have would be great..now all i have to do is find a few taken more recently as the theme is then and now...

cheers

lyn

Hi Lyn

I can supply you with plenty of photos of the surrounding area.

The front of Park House
The rear of Park House
Ruins of Nechells Manor House, Chattaway Street
The old mill pool Mount Street
James Alms Houses, Nechells park Rd.

Please run your mouse over the photo to see which is which.

Just shout if you want more.

Phil

Attachments

• Nechells Park Rear Garden 1892 .jpg
    Nechells Park Rear Garden 1892 .jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Nechells Mount Pleasant.jpg
    Nechells Mount Pleasant.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Nechells Nechells Manor House Chattaway St By Cook St   .jpg
    Nechells Nechells Manor House Chattaway St By Cook St .jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Nechells Nechells Park (Park House) The Old Ladies Park 1892  .jpg
    Nechells Nechells Park (Park House) The Old Ladies Park 1892 .jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Nechells Park Rd James Alms Houses 1922.jpg
    Nechells Park Rd James Alms Houses 1922.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 19
Afternoon Lyn,
Our doctors was on the corner of Nechells Park Road and Stanley Road,
Dr.Davies, a huge house surrounded by trees, and the entrance to the surgery was in Stanley Road up a few steps if my memory serves me right.
Apart from that I have no other memory, he was a kindly, friendly doctor, not frightening at all to a 6 year old lad,(me).......

afternoon john...lovely day here...yes i think that doctors were a lot kinder in those days...they certainly had more time for the patients...ive posted this before but our doctor used to offer our mom a fag everytime she paid a visit..and he always had a nip of scotch in the drawer...couldnt do that now though....saints preserve us....lol

lyn

Back