• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Standard Works

thanks viv...yet another one of those moments that gladdens my heart....must say i do like the plans for this building...

lyn

As the plan for the Standard Works progresses, Heritage Projects JQ are looking for information about the Standard Works and it's last owner, Joseph Smith. Can we/anyone provide any information about Mr Smith? Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
The firm Joseph Smith & Son went into the works between 1950 and 1954. There is no evidence of a firm by that name in Birmingham in 1950, so presumably it was newly formed or renamed.

Thanks Mike. I've posted a link to this thread with Heritage Projects JQ so they'll see your comment. For forum members information, this Hockley Flyer article is a nice piece on its history. Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Absolutely great photos Horsencart. Gives a good feel for the old works. Some interesting items too. Thanks for posting. Viv.

Back