• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Margarets Primary School -OLTON

• Thread starter Thread starter Manx
  • Start date Start date
M

Manx

Following on my my request about Acocks Green which I am aware does not exist anymore I am looking for info/ photo on St Margarets School.
Anything really but in particular for the period Charles Joyner who was born in Olton in 1873 attended the School.

He won a few School prizes. As usual books and they are to hand. Arithmetic, Writing etc

I would like to know of any registers, photographs and the like. Anything with him on would be absolutely fantastic. I don't even have a photo of him at all.

I did try the school and got nowhere. So if you dont have anything a lead as to where I might go would help.

Thank you Manx

Is this your school?

St Margaret's Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School details

Address:St Margaret's Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School
Richmond Road, Olton, Solihull, West Midlands B92 7RR

Hi Manx, my 2 children went there from about 1984 until they went to Grammar School. But I suppose that's a bit late for your interest! :-))
If you do want more recent stuff I know there's the school on Friends Reunited.
David

Hi Manx

I think there is a chance St Margaret's School Olton may be the school you are looking for. According to the information I have it was not built until your Charles Joyner would have been 12 years of age when it opened.

St Margaret's School foundation stone was laid in 1883 by the vicar of Olton the Rev Dr Butler the land was purchased by St Margaret's Church for £230 and was just up the Kineton Green Rd from the church. It was designed by Benjamin Corser and building was completed in 1885.

You could try getting in touch direct with the church or school, both of which are still in use today. You could also look here, you might glean some information that may be of use.

https://www.solihull.gov.uk/localhistory/16415.htm

Phil

Good evening,

I’m new to this forum so apologies for adding to an old post but St Margaret’s school, Olton is of interest to my family research.

My ancestors attended the school in the 1890’s, they were the Meades family and if anyone has any photos of the school or any information for me I’d very much appreciate it.

Thanks for looking,
Teresa

Back