• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Margaret’s School in the 1880’s

TeresaEade

Brummie babby
My Great Grandfather and some of his siblings attended St Margarets School in the 1880’s before it moved to its current location. I was hoping that someone has some knowledge of the school from that era. Thank you

moved thread to the correct section of the forum which is schools where you may received more of a response

the team

That explains why I couldn't find it under Birmingham.
Where it is now was all fields.
circa1886 map
1697385877691.png
1938 map
1697385782715.png

I’m not sure but I think the old school was in the church hall at St Margaret’s church, Warwick road, Olton or a small building close by. I don’t know when the new school was opened but my family would only have attended the original school.

FOUNDATION STONE of new schools in connection with St Margaret’s Church, Olton laid May 1884….site close to Olton railway station and fronts a lane leading to Lyndon End.

I’ve had another look and I think the children attended in the early to mid 1890’s. One child was baptised in the church in 1881 too

Back