• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St John Street, birmingham

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
I have come across a reference to the above street in the 1770s but I cannot locate it on any later maps.

Does anyone have a map of that period?

Clarkie

William Westley was a Birmingham surveyor. He owned land between Dale End and Steelhouse Lane. On this map 'Westley's Row' runs west from John Street. It appears on Bradford's map of 1751 as Westley Street, but by 1781 had been renamed as London Prentice Street.

This is the description of Westleys 1731 map, if you Google it and click on it you will see John Street going off Dale End in a Northerly direction. Top of map is West.

Hi thanks for your mail. I'm aware of John St which was demolished when Corporation St was formed but was it known as St John St in the 1770s?

I came across this record listed in The Birmingham Directory: or Merchant & Tradesman's Useful Companion, Birmingham. Printed & Sold by Pearson & Rollason: John Clarke - 13 St. John's Street, Birmingham, Warwickshire, 1777 - 1781.

From 1810 to 1828 his descendant was Joseph Clarke Victualler at the Lamb & Flag, 12 John St, (Old John St, on some records), so was John St also known as St John St?

Joseph's nephew Richard Clarke was the Borough Surveyor responsible for the development of Corporation St.

Thanks for your help.

Colin Clarke

I have attached a part of the map, maybe it will give you something to go on. It is possible that John Street became St John Street, I will look to see if a later map answers the question. Double click to see a bigger view.

View attachment 65453

Di, That would be very helpful if you could and thanks for the map it is a lot clearer than the one I found. Colin

Di, I thought you might like to see this information which I have just received from a cousin in the Midlands, I think it answers my query but given the earlier map which you kindly posted, I'm not sure if the later book is correct, however St John St would probably explain why the Pub was called the "Lamb & Flag".

Plan of Birmingham 1785. John Street - Originally known as St. John Street, it was situated in what is now that section of Newton St between Dale End and Corporation St. John Street was built to John Pemberton's design, and it was he gave the street its original name.
Taken from the booklet ~ Birmingham Street Names

Thanks for your help.
Colin

Back