• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Southall & Smith - Tea Packing/Weighing Machine

LucyO

Hi there, this is a VERY long shot but I'm looking for information about a specific tea weighing machine that was made by Southall & Smith. M/c serial no: 12323

This machine is of huge interest as it is the first sophisticated kit used for Rooibos tea packing presumably in the 1920's. Rooibos is now becoming very popular around the world and is being packed by Teleys,Twinings etc. My great grandfather introduced this to South Africa so I'm keen to find out as much as possible. This British machine is now in the Clanwilliam Museum in South Africa, we think it was taken over to weigh and pack Rooibos tea and would have been the first machine ever used for this.

It would beextremely useful to know the exact year of manufacture, and catalogue description, do you know if there is a sale ledger anywhere or if a UK museum would have any industrial knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Lucy

hi lucy sorry i cant give you any info re the weighing machine but i lived in villa st from 1958 to 72 our house was on the opposite side of southall and smiths...here are 2 photos you may find of interest..in the first photo you can just see the factory next to the villa tavern pub...second photo is a shot looking down villa st with southalls factory on the right...there is a gap next to it as by the time this was taken in 1970 the villa tavern had been demolished..also during ww2 there was a bomb attack on southall and smiths resulting in one fatality...

i have also moved this thread to the factories and offices section..

lyn

Attachments

• Villa%20Tavern,%20Villa%20St,%20Hockley.jpg
    Villa%20Tavern,%20Villa%20St,%20Hockley.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
photo 2

Attachments

• villa st 2 1970.jpg
    villa st 2 1970.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Southall & smith obtained a number of patents for weighing machines. Descriptions of only some can be seen online, but of those that can be seen the following one specifically refers to tea

[h=3]Abstract of GB300804 (A)[/h]300,804. Smith, A., and Southall, C. Dec. 5, 1927. Automatic - f e e d weighers. - An automatic weighing machine, particularly suitable for weighing out small quantities of tea, is provided with a supply hopper, a pan on a weighbeam and an electromagnetically - vibrated feed regulator, the latter comprising a receptable which is open at its upper side to the lower end of the supply hopper, and is also open at its under side above the pan, the inlet and outlet being separated by a transverse partition which prevents flow of material through the feed regulator excepting when the latter is subjected to an horizontal vibratory movement. The material from the supply hopper h descends upon an horizontal partition i in the feed regulator c and after passing through an orifice j flows down the base of the regulator, and, when the regulator is vibrated, falls through opening z into the weigh pan b. The regulator is supported on a spring-controlled arm d capable of being vibrated in an horizontal plane about a pivot e by an electromagnet or solenoid f. Stops k limit the lateral vibrations of the arm. When the correct quantity of material has entered the pan the tilting of the weigh beam a breaks the circuit and stops the vibration thus cutting off the feed. The material is discharged from the pan by pressing in a knob p thereby causing a bent lever q to rock a gate lever n and open the discharge gate m. If the weighing operation has not been completed a lever t pivoted on the frame and resting on a peg u on the weigh pan, obstructs the movement of the lever q and prevents the discharge gate m from being opened. The lever t moves out of its obstructing position when the weigh pan descends under-its proper charge. In a modified machine, two vibratory feed regulators are provided for delivering course and fine feeds respectively.

espacenetImage.jpg

Another Southall & Smith tea packing and weighing unit is exhibited in Germany. The "Tee-Museum" in Leer (Northwestern Germany) is run by local tea producer "Bünting".

Attachments

• 20230708_110614.jpg
    20230708_110614.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Such a pity my dad is not still around! He died a couple of years back (aged 97!), but used to work for Southall and Smith and went out to South Africa in about 1953 to install weighing machinery for them. If only I could ask him.....!

Such a pity my dad is not still around! He died a couple of years back (aged 97!), but used to work for Southall and Smith and went out to South Africa in about 1953 to install weighing machinery for them. If only I could ask him.....!

Such a pity my dad is not still around! He died a couple of years back (aged 97!), but used to work for Southall and Smith and went out to South Africa in about 1953 to install weighing machinery for them. (I remember letters coming back from him, with wonderful stamps picturing elephants, zebras and giraffes!) If only I could ask him.....!

ok thanks ...i just wondered..unless your dad had a car i would imagine he got the no 8 bus to work which would have and still does stop in nursery road close to the bottom of villa st

lyn

I completed my apprenticeship here from 1968 to 1973 and then taken as a Draughtsman. At this time, they were then called Driver Southall Ltd. after merging with Geo Driver and Son Ltd. in 1966. They still made weighing machines but not just for tea, also for sugar, flour and the like. They became a subsidiary of W. T. Avery of Smethwick.
Like Manurere's Dad, during my apprenticeship, I went out to Aarburg in Switzerland to help install weighing machinery for a Sugar company. The Villa Street factory closed about 1976 and they moved to new a build factory on the Yew Street estate Tame Bridge, Walsall. Here's a website which shows their history... https://www.driversouthall.co.uk/about-us/

I completed my apprenticeship here from 1968 to 1973 and then taken as a Draughtsman. At this time, they were then called Driver Southall Ltd. after merging with Geo Driver and Son Ltd. in 1966. They still made weighing machines but not just for tea, also for sugar, flour and the like. They became a subsidiary of W. T. Avery of Smethwick.
Like Manurere's Dad, during my apprenticeship, I went out to Aarburg in Switzerland to help install weighing machinery for a Sugar company. The Villa Street factory closed about 1976 and they moved to new a build factory on the Yew Street estate Tame Bridge, Walsall. Here's a website which shows their history... https://www.driversouthall.co.uk/about-us/

hi phil although we would not have known it at the time our paths may have crossed as i lived in villa st from 58 to 72

lyn

hi phil although we would not have known it at the time our paths may have crossed as i lived in villa st from 58 to 72

lyn
Hi Lyn, we have spoken before about our paths crossing especially about visiting the Vine pub down the road. As an apprentice with my mate at lunch time we would race down to the pub for a couple of games of darts with a pint or two and a cheese and onion cob, then race back. The good old days.
Phil

Back