• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Somme Battlefield visit

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Hi all

I know this might be short notice. But this coming weekend I am off to stay at Auchonvillers in the WW1 Somme battlefield area.
If any forum member would like me to take a photo of a soldier commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial or a grave in a Somme cemetery, get in touch and I will do my best.
It can only be in the Somme, not in the rear areas, as I am not the driver.

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry
I have no idea of the geography of the Somme area, so please excuse me if my request is unreasonable. My relative is remembered at the London Cemetary and extension, Longueval. He was 9072 Private George Ball of 11th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He died on 16th July 1916. I would be very grateful for a photo of his memorial.
spooner

Hi Spooner

London Cemetery is in the heart of the Somme Battlefield adjacent to High Wood. I will take a picture for you, no problem.

Terry

Out of interest at Longeval there was an 'Aston Trench' and a 'Villa Trench'

Hi Terry
I have no idea of the geography of the Somme area, so please excuse me if my request is unreasonable. My relative is remembered at the London Cemetary and extension, Longueval. He was 9072 Private George Ball of 11th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He died on 16th July 1916. I would be very grateful for a photo of his memorial.
spooner

Terry you are such a kind man I bet Peter will be thrilled. I well remember the photo's you took for me I was so thrilled to see the actual grave.

What lovely photos -so sad but beautiful. I love the way members help other members on this site.
Polly

Thank you very much Terry, that is a lovely photo. I have sent a message to you. Also thank you Ian for those pictures, they are very poignant.
Peter (spooner)

Thank You Peter(spooner)

I have lots of pictures of this particular cemetery if you need more as this is my favourite cemetery out there.

I have added one last one and this is a view up to High Wood where London Road cemetery is in the distance...........This picture gives you a feel for the terrain being covered by our soldiers to take that little piece of woodland.

View attachment 48376

Ian.

View attachment 48397Terry and Ian
Here is a picture of George Ball, the man remembered on the Somme gravestone. He was 18 when he died, and I believe that he joined up at the age of 16. Seeing the pictures that you have both posted, especially the headstone, has closed a chapter for me. It is also strange to think that I am probably the first member of our family to have seen what the headstone looks like, as none of the family have ever been there to see it - almost 100 years.
Thank you so much
Peter

Peter,

I am glad you are touched and I think Terry's photo does bring things to closure. I will be at High Wood sometime over the next few months and I will leave a cross and a poppy on his grave for you.............Its our way of thanking your brave relative for the freedom we enjoy today.

Ian.

I have so enjoyed this thread although it is so sad. The photo of George is lovely he looks so young, well in fact he was. It is so nice to see that people still care for these very tragic brave men who gave there lives for our freedom...lest we forget.

George Ball
Bham Weekly Post 2.9.16 etc
Born and lived Nechells
3rd son of Henry and Charlotte Ball of 257, Thimble Mill Lane, Nechells. Another source says 163. His father had enlisted aged 52 but was discharged as unfit after a few months. Two brothers serving in France - one Worcs, one South Staffs. Brother in law in the Royal Warwicks.

George Ball
Bham Weekly Post 2.9.16 etc
Born and lived Nechells
3rd son of Henry and Charlotte Ball of 257, Thimble Mill Lane, Nechells. Another source says 163. His father had enlisted aged 52 but was discharged as unfit after a few months. Two brothers serving in France - one Worcs, one South Staffs. Brother in law in the Royal Warwicks.
Hi Alan
That is very interesting! I had no idea that my great grandfather (Henry Ball) had also enlisted! I was also unaware that a third brother had enlisted. The brother-in-law might have been my grandmother's first husband, Albert Cooke. He was killed soon afterwards. I think that the house number may have changed because I have found contradictions in the records too. Does the newspaper article give any more information, and where could I obtain a copy? Thank you very much for your posting.
Peter

Thank You Wendy,

I am glad you have enjoyed what has been posted.

I have been visiting the battlefields 3 times a year for the last fourteen years and have covered quite a lot of the ground in France and Flanders.

My passion for this place is fuelled by the fact that so many brave people like George Ball left their homes and families to take arms and stand up for the freedom that we now enjoy.

Lest we forget.

Ian.

View attachment 48505
That is really good of you Alan. My sincere thanks to all of you who have responded to my thread. The picture attached is the grave of George's brother Alfred, who is buried at Witton in the family grave with his father. Alfred died from his wounds at the military hospital in Southampton. He was 21. The grave is close to the WW1 Memorial wall. I think that the third brother, who survived the Great War was Albert. Albert lost his only two sons in World War 2, one at Arnhem, aged only 18, and the other in France in 1944, aged 21.
Peter.

Hi Alan Tucker

I wonder if you could find a similar newspaper piece for 10819 Private Alfred Ball, 7th Battalion, South Staffs Regiment. He from his wounds on 10 December 1916. There may just be a picture of him, and I don't have one. Thank you
Peter

OK Alan, thank you for your help with George, it has been much appreciated, and has helped me to find out more about the family.
Regards
Peter

Back