• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smithfield Passage

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
smithfield passage near the markets..

oldpics005-1.jpg

oh thats great mike..thanks..was not me who cropped it though as you know i cant do all this fancy stuff lol

lyn

Could anyone tell me if possible please if there was a small factory on the end of smithfield passage as i was born in a house along the passage and lived here till i was approx 18 months old. Both my parents and Grandparents lived here and resided next door to each other my parents surname was Kenny and my grandparents were also Kenny by surname.If anyone could give me any information i would be grateful.

Hi janette1111

In the 1949 Kellys there is
SMITHFIELD PASS. (5), 27 Pershore st. to Upper Dean street. MAP G 5.
Taylor Chas. (Birmingham) Ltd. machine tool mkrs.

George and Florence Kenny first appear on the 1947 Electoral roll living at 46 Smithfield Passage.
George, Florence and James A Kenny are at number 46 in 1950/51 and Gordon A and Audrey J Kenny living at 44.
1955 there was George and Florence Kenny at 46 and Gordon A and Audrey J Kenny at 44.

This may be your George and Florence in 1911 living at Lower Tower Street,
RG14PN18095 RG78PN1097 RD384 SD3 ED35 SN285
[TABLE="width: 770"]
[TR]
[TD]Reg. District:
[/TD]
[TD]Birmingham
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sub District:
[/TD]
[TD]St George
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Parish:
[/TD]
[TD]Birmingham
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Enum. District:
[/TD]
[TD]35
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Address:
[/TD]
[TD]58 Lower Tower St Birmingham
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]County:
[/TD]
[TD]Warwickshire
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Name
Relation
Condition/
Yrs married

Sex
Occupation
Where Born
KENNEY, George
Head
Married
M
Painter
Warwick Birmingham
KENNEY, Florence
Wife
Married
7 years
F
Warwick Birmingham
KENNEY, May
Daughter
F
Warwick Birmingham
KENNEY, Voilet
Daughter
F
Warwick Birmingham

bewdley

Bewdley. firstly many thanks for this information indeed Gordon A Kenny and Audrey J Kenny are my parents and George and Florence Kenny are my grandparents , i am extremly grateful for this information and cant explain how excited myself and my daughter felt when readin ur post if you by chance have any other information that you could help with i would be very grateful as i find it very intersting , kind regards Janette Ward nee Kenny .

Hello, I appreciate your post here was a very long time ago but I have been researching George William Kenney a little as I found his name in a newspaper report with my great grandfather (attached). I don't know if you have researched any further but if your grandfather George died in 1914 then it looks to be the same one as in the report (I am going by the fact he was a painter). My great grandfather was Charles Starling who is mentioned having jumped in the canal and tried to resuscitate George, sadly unsuccessfully.

Attachments

• 91409410-2998-4a97-81c6-c98e2dfc1d32.jpeg
    91409410-2998-4a97-81c6-c98e2dfc1d32.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back