• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Street School Hockley

alandeej

knowlegable brummie
I have a photo of my dad when he was about 7/8 yrs old with a group of other children (school photo). On the back of the photo was the name 'Miss Moffat'?
Doese the name ring any bells?
My dad was born in 1916.

My mother was born in 1915 and lived in Smith St in her youth, could you please post the photo.

Resurrecting an old thread here!!! I've just come across a book belonging to my grandfather in which is a certificate which reads:

Birmingham School Board Presented to Harry Jukes for regular attendance at the Smith Street Inf Board School during the year ended Sept 30th 1886
Signed E Ensor Head Teacher. George B Davis, Clerk of the Board.

He would have been 7 at the time. I presume this must have been the same school (ie in Hockley) although as far as I am aware they lived in the Digbeth area so I would have thought that was quite a way to travel for a little one! I guess Board School meant a school under the control of the Bham School Board, not a boarding school? Has anyone any more info?

hi jukebox i would agree with you i would think it was under the control of the birm school board...just looked at my 1940s map of smith st and there was indeed a school there...i didnt realise that...

lyn

There were about 41 Board Schools designed/built by JH Chamberlain and later, after his death, but Chamberlain and Martin. I think Smith Street was one designed/built by JH Chamberlain himself.

hi shortie and thanks for that info..i have been trying to find a pic of smith st school but no luck so far..will keep looking...

lyn

at long last smith st school dated 1967..sorry about the colour they should be black and white..will get it sorted asap and repost them..i think pic 2 shows harford house in unett st...think keyhill brian will know

lyn

Attachments

• SMITH ST HOCKLEY 006.JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 006.JPG
    619.7 KB · Views: 80
  • SMITH ST HOCKLEY 007.JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 007.JPG
    487.1 KB · Views: 73
  • SMITH ST HOCKLEY 008.JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 008.JPG
    527.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Lyn

Another one for you.

Attachments

• Newtown Smith St School opened 1876.JPG
    Newtown Smith St School opened 1876.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 37
sorted now...now in black and white..

Attachments

• SMITH ST HOCKLEY 008.JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 008.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 23
last one..thanks for your photo phil

Attachments

• SMITH ST HOCKLEY 007(1).JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 007(1).JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 26
Great photo's Lyn, a tribute to a great Birmingham architect JH Chamberlain, buried in Key Hill cemetery.

looked a nice building wendy...cant be sure but i think those garages in pic 1 are still there...

Can anybody tell me if this was possibly a catholic school and if so are there any pupil records online?

Not Catholic according to this from British History Online:

“SMITH STREET COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL, Hockley. Smith St. Bd. Sch. opened 1876 by Birm. Sch. Bd. Accom. 950 B, G, I.Fees 1d.–3d.The first kindergarten mistress in Birm. bd. schs. was appointed 1877 and gave demonstration classes here and at Allcock St. Bd. Sch. Site enlarged 1878. All fees reduced to 1d. c. 1888. Bd. of Ed. demanded minor improvements in premises 1912; these were made by 1931. Reorganized 1931 for JM, I. Depts. united 1938.Accom. 1961: 11 classrooms, 2 halls”.

Viv.

It is listed as being opened by Birmingham school board (so a state school and non denominational). Also it's name does not have RC (Roman Catholic). Most catholic schools have religious names (as do many C of E schools). Eg St Chad's RC primary. State schools are often named after streets.
I don't think school records are online and doubt many have survived but I could be proved wrong.

Last edited:
Smethwick and West Bromwich schools are online at FMP, but none for Birmingham I'm afraid.

EDIT: I've waded through what school records are on the Calm system, and Smith Street Hockley is not amongst them. But then again neither were Bordesley and Garretts Green schools and I know they have survived because I researched them myself a few years ago. Best bet is probably an email to Birmingham Archives to ascertain whether what you want exists. There is a button to click here provided you don't use a non-standard email system like me!
https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/...am/1405/library_of_birmingham_opening_hours/2

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Brilliant, thank you both for your help. That will narrow down what Schools I check, provided the records have survived.

Can anybody tell me if this was possibly a catholic school and if so are there any pupil records online?
Smith St was not a Catholic School as far as I know. My Grandmother was there from 1902 til 1908 and I have her 100% attendance medal! Headmaster then was a Mr Bridges. He awarded lots of books as prizes.
The Smith St school log book survived both wars and I saw it 18 yrs ago on a nostalgic visit back to Brum. Leather bound, brass lock, filled in in fountain pen. Took some persuading of the huffy librarian!! It is in Birmingham Central Library Archive. It lists all pupils and details of illness, including staff absence. Fascinating stuff.

last one..thanks for your photo phil
Fab photos of Smith St school thanks so much! My Grandma lived in a very humble dwelling on Smith St in 1902... the school for her was a haven. In 1927 - then living near Highbury Park and happily married, she went back and carried my Dad, a babe in his shawl, to show to her teachers! Heard many stories about the school, great to see pics.

Back