• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Smith Clara W abt 1880 / Connor/ Tiltman / Hames

sez

master brummie
I am looking for any records/relations of a Clara W Smith born Smethwick abt 1880.

The initial W I believe stands for Winifred.

Parents: Jesse Smith and Francis Harriet Smith (nee Walton)

2 brothers: Henry Edward Smith and Oliver Roland Smith

Possibly married: 1907 to Thomas Connor or Charles Albert Tiltman

OR

1915 marriage to Arthur J Hames
Both Kings Norton area

Marriage is likely to be before 1911 as I cannot find records under the surname Smith in the 1911 census.

Anyone looking at this family or ideas of where to look for records please reply, help much appreciated.

Re: Clara W Smith abt 1880 / Connor/ Tiltman / Hames

On the Electoral Rolls for 1920 - 1930 There is a Clara Winnifred Connor living at 61 Hawksley Drive, Northfield, living with Thomas Collet Connor. Of course no ages are given.

Barrie.

Thomas Connor worked in the motor car industry and the couple had moved to Prestwich in Lancashire by the time of the 1911 census.
At that time they had a son, John Charles, who was born in Smethwick in 1909.Thomas Connor was born in Derby.

The 1907 marriage in Kings Norton shows her full name of Clara Winifred Smith. (this is on Free BMD)

Barrie.

Thomas Connor worked in the motor car industry and the couple had moved to Prestwich in Lancashire by the time of the 1911 census.
At that time they had a son, John Charles, who was born in Smethwick in 1909.Thomas Connor was born in Derby.

I wonder if he ws working at Longbridge during the times he is shown on the Electoral Roll?

Barrie.

The 1907 marriage in Kings Norton shows her full name of Clara Winifred Smith. (this is on Free BMD)

Barrie.

Thanks to you both for looking at this, I think I will need to order the 1907 marriage certificate and see if I have the right person!

fingers crossed!!

I'll also check electorol rolls and look at Lancashire, even if it seems they were only there briefly. Sounds good though with the child being born in Smethwick...I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again

Unfortunatley the marriage certificate for Clara and Thomas in 1907 is not the Clara I am looking for!

This may mean that she was still single in 1911 (although I have not found her on the census yet.)

If anyone tracks her down let me know- I'll keep looking and perhaps now look at the 1915 marriage which might be her.

I have also looked at deaths, but have not found anything for Clara W Smith pre 1911.

The Clara who married Arthur J Hames was Clara Winifred Mary .
They lived at 23 Elm Tree Road in Stirchley in 1935
By 1945 they were living back of 12 Bournville Lane with son Eric.

Births Jun 1924

Eric B Hames mmn Smith
King's N 6d 11

There were 6 children including Eric registered with surname Hames with mmn Smith between 1917 and 1928 in the West Midlands.

Deaths Jun 1947
Arthur J Hames aged 59 Birmingham 9c 414

Name: Clara Winifred M Hames

Birth: 9 May 1888
Death: Jun 1970 - Birmingham, Warwickshire, England

Thanks for that information it helps clarify a few things.
Clara's birthday of 1888 seems too far out though. In 1901 she was 21 so I assume 1879 - 80.

It's so difficult researching Smith!!I think I'll have to take another look at the records, I don't have Clara's actual birth certificate, I was hoping to trace her as she was the sister of my great grandfather and it's him we really want to know about, but he is also proving a dead end after 1922.

Another confusing end hopefully I can unravel, just need the thinking cap on and a little luck!

this birth is a possibility?
Births Dec 1879
Clara Winifred Smith King's N. 6c 448

this birth is a possibility?
Births Dec 1879
Clara Winifred Smith King's N. 6c 448

Yes this is possible- I'll have to get the certificate if I don't find anymore records, I plan to have another crack at it over the holidays.

Thanks for that I'll let you know what I find.

Back