• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Thank you for telling me about Bakers garage. I remember the hairdressers, my Nan took me there for my first perm! I also used to deliver newspapers for the paper shop and I put papers through the wrong doors in the flats in Grange Road, they were so confusing! Do you happen to remember a secondhand shop on Waterloo Road? I would love to find out about the lady who ran it. I remember she looked like a very old Debbie Harry and wore a fur coat.
Sorry, my geography of Waterloo Rd is hazy as it has been about 56 years since I went there regularly. I can recall the smell of the perm solution though! I don't remember the shop, I'm afraid. Some of the older ladies in Worcestershire still wear fur coats, though their grand daughters roll their eyes.

Yes, the crystals work best! The other stuff is mostly water with some kind of filler. If you read the label it confirms that there is very little in it that can do anything!
My local hardware shop has them. I use them (as well as drain maintenance) for paint stripping old toys & models that I restore for a hobby. Mind out for the fumes though! They will burn off the lining in your nose!!

L
My local hardware shop has them. I use them (as well as drain maintenance) for paint stripping old toys & models that I restore for a hobby. Mind out for the fumes though! They will burn off the lining in your nose!!
Lloyd, I would buy a couple of extra packages and in your garage or workshop. They will disappear I would expect very soon.

The old cinema in Waterloo Road was burned out last week. It had been a bingo hall and was available in the past for weddings etc. It was a lovely building in it's day, it was allowed to decay.
rosie.

Edit. Windmill Lane not Waterloo Road. Aplogies!

Last edited:
The old cinema in Waterloo Road was burned out last week. It had been a bingo hall and was available in the past for weddings etc. It was a lovely building in it's day, it was allowed to decay.
rosie.
Surprised? No. It happens too frequently to be unusual. The fact that it was grade ll listed, and the site would be more valuable without the building says it all. Owners who do not protect listed buildings against arson & vandalism should be prosecuted

Apologies! I should have put Windmill Lane not Waterloo Road!
The Waterloo Pub is also in aterrible state now.
rosie.

Back